front engine bearing replacement help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destructive

So i figured out that the kid that "sealed" my engine before i got it left an air leak in the front bearing.

1st. can anyone tell me how to remove the flywheel nut to get to the bearing?
2nd. what kind of bearing do you guy suggest i buy as a replacement that wont leak...i hear of some bearing with a rubber seal? and where can i get this.

I also found out my clutch shoes were mashed causing my spur gears to get fubar'd. I guess i have a lot of rebuilding to do in order to get this thing running right.

I want to start with the bearing, clutch shoes and springs, I'm gonna go with mugen aluminum shoes and 1.0 springs. any input is appreciated

You need a deep socket 10mm to remove the nut
Most all front bearing have a rubber seal .. just stick w/ the stock replacement if it's a used engine.

Yea get the nova shoes and the springs you will be set

stop making multiple threads all asking the same things, i asnwered all ur questions and if ur frotn bearing is leaking then heat up the engine block (no internals only bearings and block) in the oven to around 300 then while the block is still hot pop the bearings out.

as for a replacement, get a picco .26 outlaw front bearings its made for the engine so use that.

to put it in do the same procedure heat up the block without bearings in it now to 300 and place the bearings into the hot block and to make sure they are aligned correctly put the conrod in while the block is still hot and expanded before it shrinks and pinches the bearings in place

mugen shoes are good they last a while and 1.0 springs are good for them, if you hear them slapping the bell even with a low idle try drilling a small hole in them to lighten the shoe and make it so the centrifugal force does not throw them out as fasr

the flywheel nut will come off weith a 10mm socket and some brute force, need to hold the flywheel also with a pair of plyers or vice or else it will just spin the engine as you try to loosen the nut

once u get the nut off you need a puller to pop the flywheel off because the nut presses it onto a brass cone that keeps it from spinning on the crank makes it all one peice

thanks, ill keep it to 1 post from now on. thanks for your help ill keep you guys updated

I was out runnin my truck today and noticed that tiny drops of fuel were squirting out around the flywheel area.Is that a sign of a bad bearing???One other thing i noticed was the high idle so i'm assuming that i have an air leak.RIGHT???

Is there a way i can get the front bearing off without heating the block up.Its gonna be a pain taking the whole engine apart just to get the bearing out.SURELY THERES AN ESSIER WAY TO GET THE BEARING OUT!!!!!!!!

you should want to take your engine apart, it gives you knowledge and appreciation of what you own.

You got a good point there,Destructive

i wouldnt do it if i was you i had lots of problems when i did it and nearly had to scrap a brand new engine i would say only do it if you had to. otherwise just stick with the stock bearings.

4x4

Taking the engine apart IS the only way to get the front bearing out without distroying your crankcase. Once the engine is completely stripped, you can either press out the bearing cold or you can use the oven method as already described. If you are not experienced in bearing removal, I would recommend you use the hot method. That way you can't do much harm, (well not to your engine anyhow !) Any more help, just ask.
Good luck, and be careful !

when you do decide to take your engine apart make sure you take the sleeve out before you try and disconnect the piston from the conrod. i have another post where SJ explained to me how to take your sleeve out if its pretty tight like mine was.

You guys are going to have to jump right in there trust me. You need to remove all the parts down to the bare block meaning remove the sleeve, piston and crankshaft. I also remove the carb just so it doesn't get damaged. To remove the flywheel I use my tuning screwdriver to pry it off and haven't had any problems. You just need to use a light touch in doing it so you don't scratch the flywheel and block. Pry underneath it going from one spot to the next so it's not all focused in one spot. Let us know if you need help.

Edit: Once again I didn't make it to the second page, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all your support,I'll let you guys know how all went taking it apart.I'll prolly won't start till friday when have the day off.I hope everything goes good.

You guys think i should replace my carb first before i take my engine apart to replace the bearing.I can still turn my carb with a bit of force so i'm thinkin that might still be the main problem.One other thing i thought about this,i didn't have this air leak before my upside down landing and thats what caused my carb to turn. What are you guys opinions.

Take your engine out. Plug the carb and exhuast with your fingers. Use a piece of fuel line and blow air into the eng. (where the line already attaches) Then go over everything with a brush and soapy water and watch where the bubbles come from. That will tell you where th air leak is. Get back to me if you need help.

you might have to just tighten your pinch bolt on the carb. is the engine sealed? i just sealed mine up last week. runnin like a charm now, new front engine bearing and a fresh seal it works great.

I'll take my engine out and check for air leaks sometime this weekend.I'll get back to you if i have any questions.Thanks again for your help.

I checked for air leaks today and yes,its my front bearing.Shall i just get the stock one or can i get a better one.

Which one shall i get.I have the 4.1

For some reason my computer won't let me go on it,maybe if you link exactly what for bearing i should get it might work.

well there are about 8 different kinds of bearings on the boca website, they range from 27 to 80$ for two bearings. Check your PM. #ENK-005HP boca part number

Thanks for your PM,I'll prolly get the bearings from boca.Do i need the two bearings that come in a pack or do i only need 1,it would be alot cheaper just gettin the bearing i need rather than gettin it in a pack.

Whats the front engine bearing size for the 4.1.I looked in my manual and it said nothing about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back