Fried it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

Hey guys out bashing yesterday bashed about an hour and all of a sudden she wouldnt go. I was adjusting the transmission to shift earlier but i am wondering if i was turrning the wrong screw.when u go thru side it looks like there are 2 allen screws. Would turning the wrong one fry the gear. I think its the slipper clutch in picture.20190902_200742.jpgScreenshot_20190902-201421_Gallery.jpg

Looks to me like the slipper was loose and caused the spur to melt out the center, that is why i like the steel spurs, and I also lock down my slipper, you would be surprised to learn it will still slip even when locked down.... as for the 2 speed adjuster I have to ask what allen are you using? it should be a 2mm and the adjuster is on a slight angle to the shaft because it is in the 2 speed hub.....
DO NOT disturb the screw holding the hub on the shaft, it will come out and go thru the internal gears of the transmission, if you did loosen it by mistake take a 2.5 mm driver and tighten it back up...

2 speed adjuster.png

Last edited:
Thx Jam ill have to check size allen wrench when i get home....2 see wgat screw i was turning ..whst would be the easiest way to get these fried parts out? can i just take nut off of end or do i need to take out transmission?

Thx Jam ill have to check size allen wrench when i get home....2 see wgat screw i was turning ..whst would be the easiest way to get these fried parts out? can i just take nut off of end or do i need to take out transmission?

Should be able to just remove the nut,washer & spring and wiggle the spur off.....

Spur gear was fried on one side melted into large washer plate that sits in front of spur gear..teeth werent really stripped. Y would this happen if slipper nut was to loose or to tight could it cause this ? Besides ordering 47 tooth slipper what else should i replace?

20190904_195919.jpg20190904_195819.jpg20190904_195743.jpg

ROFLMFAOOOOOOO see the spur back and the melted slipper pad??? YEP once the pad glazes and slips a couple of times it is pretty much DONE and it is going to make heat due to friction which will melt the spur center, most times the teeth of the gear are left intact but the center where the metal backing plate is will melt like butter and then it throws the gear.

I would say to go to E Bay or Robinson Racing Products and but a steel spur and an extra pad or 2 if they have them, I have had the same gear 48 tooth wide steel gear and the same slipper pad on my rig since I put it together, I locked down my slipper spring and drive my truck like I stole it... you can get the combo gear and bell online pretty easily..... oh and you can save the plate by cleaning it with carb cleaner which will soften the plastic bits and then lightly sand the pad surface with some fine sandpaper.... Or I have seen A Main has some slipper parts and plates available on their site for not too much $$$ and you still must remove the nut spring and washer along with the bushing, you may as well replace the spring and nut also since you have it apart.....

Last edited:
Definitely had the slipper loose. You can see the gaps in the slipper spring. I usually tighten it until the spring is fully compressed then back it off 1/4 turn. Even then I had a hard time keeping the slipper from slipping when running 47/16 gearing when running in grass. It would be fine for about a tank, then it would slip, glaze, then just slip until it melted. I ended up with a steel spur that could take the heat so I didn't have to lock it down.

On my flux, I have it fully compressed and only backed off a hair as it tends to slip.

Thx olds.

Olds you were right as usual i ran it for an hour on concrete no problem and 5 mins after running it on grass it fried.

It might depend on the tires you run as well. Although, I ran fairly light tires at the time. I believe I was running traxxas 3.8" wheels with their chevron tires. If I ran 49/16, it would hold up, but the added strain from 47/16 would cause it to slip unless I locked the nut down, which negated the slipper for the most part.

I never had the issue back in the day when I ran an OS21RG in it with 15/52. Or the XTM 24.7 with the 15/52 or an SH28 with 15/49.

I never ran an HPI engine in a savage. When I started running the LRP28 in it, I increased the gearing since the engine could pull it and that's when I started having slipper issues.

Is it a good idea to use blue locktite on slipper nut so it cant loosen up ?

I always do. I use the gel stuff as it seems to work a bit better than the liquid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back