frankensavage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinker2141

Hello all, been awhile since I've been here (got out of the hobby for a bit). I have a gearing question that I believe I need an experts help with. I just completed a nitro to brushless conversion and need a little Spur/pinion advice so heres my truck.

FLM LCG TVPs
Alza center diff mount with a vorza diff (46T)
flux front and rear diffs
LST2 shocks
Castles mamba X esc and a 1515-2200kv motor
Baja 5B wheels with bow tie rubber
venom 3s x2 set up for runtime not power

Truck seems heavy and the temps were hitting mid 160s so my question is do i address the gearing or the motor and if either what are some suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You didn't list a pinion size, I would get a selection of pinions to use and try different sizes, A 1 or 2 tooth difference can be HUGE to performance and the way you run the truck, another question would be what terrain you plan on running on, grass and long high speed runs all attribute to heat in the motor so that is always a reason to have a few pinions to choose from...

You didn't list a pinion size, I would get a selection of pinions to use and try different sizes, A 1 or 2 tooth difference can be HUGE to performance and the way you run the truck, another question would be what terrain you plan on running on, grass and long high speed runs all attribute to heat in the motor so that is always a reason to have a few pinions to choose from...

I realized the pinion bit just as I left the house, 16 right now and I run short grass and street mostly however, occasionally I go to a local off-road licensing track for some serious bashing.

Well comparing your build to the Savage Flux XL you seem to be geared with a bit different gearing, XL Flux at 43 spur/16 pinion, but that temp you listed seems ok considering the Flux XL says 190 is considered HOT, not taking into account for different motor manufacturer, efficiency etc...

Be aware also a larger tire such as the Baja uses will also play a part in gearing so by all that it seems like it is close to what others may be using..
Also the C rating on your batteries will play some part to the feel of something feeling heavy so go with a c rating of 90 or so outta wake it up a bit also ( i did not see your c rating listed), another point to know is battery temp, which HPI states as 140 max temp for your batteries...
Many variables as you can see, but I still say to have a few pinions of various sizes up and down will only help you get the most out of your rig for the conditions you run it in....

Interesting info here for sure. I’m new fairly to electric and converted my XL as well with a mamba monster esc and castle 2200 but 2 not x. Running the stock 16 pinion and 43 spur with stock tires, badlands or trencher x’s i have yet to see a temp over 105. Now I don’t do speed runs only short bursts and basic bashing at a mountain bike track and ambiet temps are pretty cool up here now 15c or so. My batteries which are 5000mah 50c gens ace don’t seem to get much warmer than the outdoot temp.

I’m not famliar with the baja tires but as jam said larger heavier tires can certaibly cause more strain and result in more heat.

Thanks for the advice, going to lhs today to pick up a few pinions today, the Baja tires are 6oz heavier than the badlandas i was running so I am assuming that adding 2 pounds to the truck plus the rotational size of the tires has affected my gearing. batteries are 50 c and were getting a little warm but nowhere near the 140 mark. annnnnd i just counted teeth, turns out the Vorza center diff stock tooth count is 48 so I'm at 48/16 in the center and 29/9 at either end. definitely gearing down.

Last edited:
problem solved. XO-1 motor/MMXLX combo, stupid fast and 5-10 degrees above ambient after a whole 6s pack of high speed runs.

Latest posts

Members online

Back