fm radio or spektrm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilsman

looking at the futaba 3pm in fm or spektrum. i only bash- not race. is it worth the extra 150 to go with spektrum? is fm good enough?

plus, no need for a fail-safe, bonus there!! Spektrum all the way...

just because you don't race, doesn't mean you'll never drive within range of someone else...just fewer people to interfere with that way...still a possibility...

i have a futaba 3mp fm and its worked well so far ive had it for nearly a year now and still have had no problems with interference. its much cheaper and workes very well.
4x4

Spektrum... fail safe built into the reciever, no interferance, automatic frequency choice, no glitching because of metal on metal contact.. Spektrum.. spend the money, you won't be dissapointed!

the 40mhz fm receivers have built in fale safe aswell for futaba's. for me saving the money was the main thing. you still get an awsome piece of kit and you have the option to add spectrum later on. (on the 3pk and 3vcs you do for sure anyway)

you may also get a better fail safe with the 40mhz gear as spectrum fail safes don't have low voltage cut off safety in them

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't personally have any experience with the futaba 3pm, but I love my Spektrum dx - pretty simple to use once you understand it, and I haven't had a problem with range or interference since.

not used the futuba, but love my dx3. yes it does feel cheap, when you consider it aint a cheap system, but i just love the interference free running, no servo glitch with metal-to-metal contact and a built in failsafe. i am running a venom failsafe too, just in case!

as poly stated, there is no dedicated low voltage protection on the spekky reciever, only loss of signal.
But i have experienced and read in some places, signal range is related to rx voltage. low voltage reduced the range to less than 5 inches so failsafe is working in a similar way to others.

best advice i had was get the TX you like the most with the features that you need or appeal to you, do a bit of research as there may be others that you have not considered yet and find the best price.

let us know what you get, and what you think about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back