Flm Vs. Nova

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazer X

By no means is this thread smacking FLM products. I just didnt want to clutter another thread with my pics. This is a simple picture of the width of the two styles of engine mounts. The pic on top is the Nova and the FLM is on bottom. The right side has a dowl pin stuck in the threaded hole to show true alignment. The width you can see on the left side is the difference. I tried to mount my LRP, GO tech and hpi 28 with no luck without serious modding. You can see a bit on the FLM mount on bottom that there is a slight arch but it doesnt look as tight a radius as what derty werks mount is. Not sure though. I don't modd parts I pay for. Thanks to SMF for full refund no questions asked.
0308081907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. even though that is a REALLY crummy pic (LOL), it is very apparent the difference. It's hard to believe those 2 parts are manufactured for the same engines!

PS- SMF (Bruce) is the BEST online parts seller I have ever had the pleasure to deal with!

And to revalidate those two post from sunk and moto. According to FLM they do not make a SB motor mount. I just figured it was a packaging error. I would try to get a new pic but Bruce has it now.

Guys from what I read on another forum, people were recommending that you stay with the stock mount. The reason I guess is that now that the mount is stronger and wont break, that all the stress is on the crank case. Do you guys agree with this or no?

I could agree with that, just that the Nova engine mount offers the most adjustbility. A greater degree of being able to align your bell to your spur. Would almost bet that Nova engine mount weights less than stock. It's also a 7075 alloy vs stock which I believe is a 6065 alloy. So it's not only lighter but stronger.

Guys from what I read on another forum, people were recommending that you stay with the stock mount. The reason I guess is that now that the mount is stronger and wont break, that all the stress is on the crank case. Do you guys agree with this or no?

i have heard something similar. the stock mount being weaker gives you a weak point in case you get in a hard wreck that will break instead of something else such as your motor.

I have heard that also .. BUT I have snapped a new sts block using a stock mont .. And yes the mont broke

In my exp. the stock mount will give beffore the case in frontal collisions or kartwheel type collisions, but the case will break first in a backflip. The mount is strongest in the back and will outlast the case. A frontal impact puts all the leverage on the weakest part of the mount snapping it. Thats why HPI tried that new front screw in the mount.

My only gripe with the Nova is if you take the motor out you have to take it off the mount. Otherwise you cant get to the nuts to secure them while tightening. Once I got my location where I wanted it, I JB welded the nuts in place so I wouldnt have to worry about holding the nuts still while tightening..

Does anyone else have an FLM mount?

I run the FLM mount it is very snug against the crank case. It will seat on the motor correctly but doesn't just slide on and bottom out against the taps on the motor like it should you are required to tap it into place. The only engine I have ever had it on was an Axial .28 Spec 1S so I am unsure how it fits with other motor.

I would defiantly recommend getting the nova mount as well. I must say though I run the stock mount on my other savage with very little issues. I did crack a block on my old 4.1 but was only because the bolts loostened up.

Latest posts

Members online

Back