FLM Savage big block XL build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jssouthtx

Been a quite a few years since I’ve built anything and I’ve been getting an itch to replace the 5.9 xl I regretfully sold years back. I bought a barely used stock 5.9 xl to start with. Here’s what’s gathered up so far.

FLM:
Ext lcg chassis
Control arms
Driveshafts
Servo plate
Motor plate
HPI big bore aluminum shocks
LRP zr .32x spec 4
Proline 2015 Silverado body
Phaltlines on some HK wheels.

Eventually I’ll be doing FLM bulkheads, shock towers, and trans case. Electronic and gearing upgrades coming also. 650765086509651265136514651565166517

Have a question regarding spur gear/clutch bell combinations. I have a 16t/52t and it definitely isn’t going to work. Can anyone tell me if a
15t/44t will fit. Trying to get right without buying a ton of different combinations

Made some progress finding a pull start setup. SH pull start for a .28 will bolt right up and function with no binding or noticeable malfunction. The pics show a spec difference I believe may be overcome with high temp gasket maker if need be.
New steel 47T spur should be here wed and I can start break in. 65916592659365946595

Nice job on the truck jssouthtx !! I love flm stuff . They make a real quality product. Hey would you be interested in selling the orange body? I’m looking to switch mine to orange I have the blue xl

I went electric years ago and have missed nitro ever since. Hence the reason for this build. Speaking of... sorry for the delay. Had to get my hands on a 5x4x11 bushing for the spur gear. Got that Tuesday and did the break in today. Got some traveling to do this week but hopefully I can post a run video on YouTube next weekend sometime.
Had to have these to run the rrp 47t spur
Had to use smaller screws on the motor mount to clear the frame rail on the exhaust side
Got a little dirty on break in

Towards the end of the 6th tank of fuel on break in I opened this .32 up and wow. I’m impressed. Much better than the 5.9 and I haven’t even started tuning it yet. I still need a pipe and some different glow plugs or I would have tuned it right after break in. Nitro can be pretty fast if built right....that’s not saying any of my builds are but I’ve seen some that move pretty good.

Looks great man! Yes nitro can be extremely fast. I have neighbor kids with brushless revos and I come out with one my xl savages with a modded o.s .30 that I have dialed with a 3 speed and we do shots up and down the street and my old nitro girl runs all day with them bottom to top end haha

Still haven’t gotten a video but managed to acquire a few bashing scars. Barely on the second tank after break in lol. This Lrp runs great. No problem getting the front end up in the air. Got that shell damage after cutting a flip from a dig. 1st gear just wheelies at will.

Upgraded steering servo coming as soon as I get back from Memorial Day weekend.

Been a while since I posted and not much has been changed. Got a set of badlands and some new skid plates. Still less than 10 tanks ran including the 6 for break in.

Attachments

• CB425085-EA17-4292-9EB4-840232B70A4F.jpeg
    CB425085-EA17-4292-9EB4-840232B70A4F.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 14
  • B83CC3ED-CFE5-490C-9A03-37C1BD2EBB7D.jpeg
    B83CC3ED-CFE5-490C-9A03-37C1BD2EBB7D.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 15
Nice lookin savage jssouth. Just a couple words of caution, watch when usin those alum a-arms. I've seen way to many members on here in the past run with alum arms then switch back to stock when they consistently tear bulkheads. They don't have the "flex" like plastic on those bad landings.

Thanks for the tip. I usually run plastic arms and knuckles for bashing. I did leave the plastic knuckles for now as those have been a good “weak link” in some of my past builds. This truck sees little bashing tho. I have another completely stock (aside from reverse) 5.9 xl that I bash with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 4
What proline rims are they jssouthx look like Desperado & are they the newer MX Badland tyres please, like the look of them! ??

What proline rims are they jssouthx look like Desperado & are they the newer MX Badland tyres please, like the look of them! ??
Ya know I’m really not sure. Never looked at the label on the bag. The tires say “badlands #1178” on them if that helps. Bought them off a LHS that was closing. Got 50% off of those and a ton of other stuff.

Really nice work man!

Does anyone know if FLM is still in business? I have their extended arms since 2017 in both my savages but don't have any reserve axle dogbones... I am just paranoid I will lose or break an axle one of these days...

I don't know for sure but I’ve heard they are done. When I bought some of the FLM stuff for this build I was told by one vendor I had gotten one of the last FLM kits out there. Glad I finished mine when I did.

Thats weird about your spur clutch combo i currently have a 16/52 in mine, was going to change to a 14/52 so its a wheelie monster

Latest posts

Members online

Back