FLM Extended control arm install.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was waiting to post this until I got some run time on them, but it looks like it's NEVER going to dry out in this part of Florida. Been looking at different ways of increasing the track width, started with a set of offset Max. wheels which made a noticeable difference. Went looking for a set of extended control arms, as I don't like the idea of wheel extenders, and FLM was the only company I could find that makes a set, these being .500" longer than stock. Ordered them from the SMF store.

The kit, part number FLM41500, includes upper arms, lower arms, turnbuckles, and dogbones.
Suspensionparts004.jpg

Check out these dogbones, can't imagine breaking one of these!

Suspensionparts014.jpg

The fit, and finish was good, with what I'll have to call minor issues until I get some run time on them. More on this later.

Everything in the front went together as it should, even using other aftermarket parts with them.

In the front with GH knuckles, and GH steering blocks:

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

And the rear with Integy hubs:

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

As for the "Issues" there were a few things I wasn't happy with. The turnbuckles supplied with the kit just don't cut it. The flats machined into them offer very little help when it comes time to make the adjustments.

IMG_0108.jpg

And as you can see in that pic., they're already rounded from trying to set the toe. Lunsford Racing makes a 4mm x 80mm titanium turnbuckle that will take care of this.

I have two issues with the upper arms. The first minor, the second, not so minor.

IMG_0111.jpg

The adjustment holes are too big, allowing it to move in the steering arm just enough to change the camber. Don't have a really good way of measuring camber, but a guess would somewhere between a 1/8 and a 1/4 degree. If you tighten it enough to keep it from moving, it really binds the suspension. Minor.

The other things you can see in that pic., are a roll pin, the adjuster, and the two jam nuts. The adjuster is captured in the end of the arm with this pin. This pin does a great job of keeping the adjuster from pulling out. It does a lousy job of keeping the adjuster from rotating, as I have one arm that the adjuster just spins, and I have to hold it in between the jam nuts with a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen the jam nuts. Not good. I'm hesitant to drive the roll pin out, to see if there's a fix for this, as most of the time when something is press fit in aluminum and you remove it, it leaves the hole too big to get the same press fit when you install it again.

Last, but not least, the dogbones.

IMG_0116.jpg

With the suspension fully extended, the dogbone hits the outer edge of the axle just enough that there will be wear on the dogbone and the axle. Will have to put some run time on it to see just how much.

Well, there you have it. Will post again as soon as I get some time on these parts, and let everyone know how they hold up.

Looks great, I'd love to hear how they hold up for you. It looks like its time to replace your drive cups.

Update!

I managed to get two tanks in on these parts last weekend before the never ending rain started again, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference two inches in track width makes. You can turn the wheel at speed and it just goes, running circles at full lock in either direction, at 3/4 throttle, just lifts the inside front tire off, no roll overs. Night and day difference.

Will "Bash" on them A.S.A.P. (As soon as it the "Lakes" go away) and update again, but for now, even with the problems, they work great.

nice review my friend!! and your setup looks awsome i must say!!! cant wait to hear how it holds up from some abuse!!

Update!

I managed to get two tanks in on these parts last weekend before the never ending rain started again, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference two inches in track width makes. You can turn the wheel at speed and it just goes, running circles at full lock in either direction, at 3/4 throttle, just lifts the inside front tire off, no roll overs. Night and day difference.

Will "Bash" on them A.S.A.P. (As soon as it the "Lakes" go away) and update again, but for now, even with the problems, they work great.
After installing the flm extended arms did it feel like it weighted you truck down? I have aluminum steering blocks and hub carriers all around and that's it for upgraded aluminum parts I was nervous of making it to heavy with them beefy arms

Latest posts

Members online

Back