First Time Savage owner Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoudTaco

Ok so I've I owned the obligitory Radioshack R/C's growing up then I built a RS4 MT when I was ten. Later got a Tmaxx as part of a trade for a stroker motor, loved it but traded it for some car audio equip. I was tired of replacing parts. So now I felt like after buying a house and having a nice sized yard I wanted another R/C. I looked around on craigslist trying to find a Tmaxx 3.3 and happened upon this Savage 25. My cousin has a pair of em and so I figured I'd give it a try. I gave $150 for it with the rotostart, a half tank of gas, a glow plug igniter and surprises galore. Firstly it was dirty as hell, the inner hex hub of two of the wheels were rounded, it had a broken rear knuckle and came with a Losi Mini T reciever. All have been fixed and I got all new wheels. I checked out the motor, spins freely, compression feels good. Got it tuned ok, two tanks into it and a stripped a spur gear, wnet to my LHS bought a new one, double checked my mesh, and half tank later the next one was shot. I din't know what was wrong but I ordered an Integy spur gear to replace it, this time I had them check my gear mesh, said it was spot on, now I got two tanks through it again before after a big somersault down the asphalt I ran for about another minute only to this time ruin my clutch bell. Found that my motor plate was bent. So here is what I've done,
-new H/T steering servo
-SF-2 moved to throttle
-XL TVP's
-1800ma Ofna hump pack
-ez access reciever box
-XL motor plate
-XL 3speed
-Integy Flywheel and clutch shoes
-Integy Clutch bell
-Fuel filter
-XL Wide Drive axle shafts
-XL Hoop and roll bar
-took motor completely apart, very clean inside, Cylinder looks nice
-Sealed motor
-XL rear drive dogbone
-Hpi TF-3 and RF-1

What I still need to do
-XL diffs and bulkheads
-Hot Bodies Pipe
-More power?
-New Body
So what do you guys think? I am just planning on doing some bashing with it, but I don't want to keep breaking things. I want it to be very fast, stable, and most of all reliable. Now I was planning on doing a new motor, my cousin gave me a f4.6 but it turned out to be junk: seized and needs a full rebuild. Should I spend the money to rebuild that and maybe have some port work done to it? Or should I just spring for a new motor, and what should I go with? I want something that will start easy, make lots of power and run for a long time to come(I know that depends allot on me). Also is there anything else I'm missing? I plan on running it stock width until I can pay off paypal and get the XL diff and Bulkhead combo.

Welcome Taco! I'm way too :retarded: to read all the words, can you throw up some pics my man? (j/k sounds kool, still like pics tho, :resp:)

I'm at work right now, but i'll see if the Fiance will leave me alone long enough when I get home.

Welcome to the Forum!! Sounds like you are off to a great start and have a good build going there. Unfortunatly things always break, but the good thing is that you can upgrade when they do break. As far as motors are concerned, that really depends on how much you want to spend. Everyone here will give you great recommendations in your price range. Most X RTR and Xss parts will fit in the XL or XL chassis. The only parts that are different are the dogbones and wheel axles. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask away.

welcome to the forum taco. while your in the good spirit of upgrading and tearing down and inspecting id shim your diffs first and foremost. Glad to hear you decided to get the sav over the maxx. good choice my man

Do I really need to shim them if I'm going to get the XL Dif and Bulkhead assem. off ebay? Also as far as $ I don't Want to Spend over $150, or $200 at most; less is more... in my wallet. I've found new k5.9's all over ebay but Don't know if this would be a good option as I've read they're really fuel hungry and thought maybe I could get better results with a smaller motor say .28-.32

Last edited by a moderator:
You would want to stick w/ a .28

Like a lrp spec 3 .28 or a picco .28

And yes you still need to add a shim or 2 to the new bulkhead assem..

As I haven't read up on everything yet, I assume that shimming the diffs is just to ensure a propper and constant mesh of the gears?

I'm in no hurry here and appriciate it, so far this is the most helpfull and suportive forum I've ever belonged to.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are a few pics I just took. As you can see I'm waiting on quite a few parts.
8f45f1b0ac08491b9e30fde9b22f0dfc.jpg

1de45f980e694f3ea47a6ad1987ba687.jpg

60b6bcd1ac0f45f7aa9b6ab573d93cd3.jpg

0a595455b27e46f28e1c2a1fbf13d951.jpg

b5cce49907ce4d578061e03ca0690463.jpg

d1364e0c5fe24354aa7784424db873ee.jpg

Here is My tool supply, so I should be set LOL. I'm just waiting to build a workbench so my wife can get her kitchen table back.
9f6d65f9b8bd43b082b115863fd693b5.jpg

ok, I went to a HS about thirty miles away because they were supposed to carry more Hpi parts and my LHS screwed up and ordered the outer HD dogbones rather than thr rear driveshaft like I needed. Well they didn't have a whole lot in stock, but in a clearance bin they did have the HPI Alum. control arms and dual SS disc brakes. I got the Control arms for $31, and the brakes for $10. I'm also ordering the Dynamite version of the 086 pipe.

Welcome to the forum Taco. 1/2 tank of gas? Hope they didn't ship it that way.

Looks like you got a nice tool set. You'll be surprised at how many small tools you'll start to accumulate.

Welcome to the best Savvy forum there is Taco.

Nice pics too ! Seeing that original S-25 body brought back a lot of memories for me. Thanks for sharing.

Here is My tool supply, so I should be set LOL. I'm just waiting to build a workbench so my wife can get her kitchen table back.

Maybe she dosnt want it back. That will meen she just has to cook again :lmao3: j/k nice setup though. I would also take apart the diff's and put some new fluid in them.

Finally bought a body and painted it last night. Turned out ok for my first. For some reason I thought the windows came pre-masked LOL! So I'm just going to cut em all out and mesh em. Plus the white pearl I used for the bottom was way too thin and became runny after my second coat. But all in all looks cool. The chrome looks good as well. My Picco should be here this afternoon.
f899de9661f04896b1321a83bb229cb4.jpg

f5e7a864b8a64b05bd28ac798e6370af.jpg

ac0d8b81cae6445393438e0cfe429e06.jpg

ea73db558c8845eabb88a64d0ae8d57b.jpg

Finally bought a body and painted it last night. Turned out ok for my first. For some reason I thought the windows came pre-masked LOL! So I'm just going to cut em all out and mesh em. Plus the white pearl I used for the bottom was way too thin and became runny after my second coat. But all in all looks cool. The chrome looks good as well. My Picco should be here this afternoon.

Those are some classic cars you are crushing. Sin. lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back