First Savage Build.....Gonna need lots of advice!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uberbricky

Well I recently traded a E Revo I built up for a like-new Savage XL (and some cash for me!) and I must say I love how these things are built. After years of flirting with Traxxas and Losi, this is my first HPI and it seems like they come stock with all the upgrades the Traxxas stuff needs!!

Anyways like usual I start reading forums and find out what to upgrade....then start ordering....

So this is what I'm doing so far, everything either ordered or here:

LRP ZR .30/OFNA 086 pipe (already has a MotorSaver filter)
FLM HD XL TVP's, Motor Plate, Servo Plate, Servo Mounts & Drag Link
GH Aluminum Steering Rack/HD servo saver spring
Acer Ceramics all around (including 4 steering bearings)
CEN 220cc Tank & Header Tank
Rush Battery Box & Hump Pack
OFNA Linkages
eBay Servos (for now) 244ou/in & .13 @6v

The truck already has a Spectrum radio and better tires....so what's next? C-Hubs? Am I missing anything here? Is the header tank necessary with the CEN tank to eliminate HTL? I was thinking of installing it anyways, just for a little extra capacity.

And even though I have PPP servos, I've had good luck with them. Used them quite a bit without issues, but want to get JR's by the spring

One last question (for now) with the temps being around -15C outside, I'm worried about getting the LRP up to temps for break in, this is my first "aftermarket" engine so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance, I'll post some pics soon!

Ok first off welcome to the forum. You have a nice list of upgrades there. In my opinion I think I would skip the Flm motor plate as the xl motor plate is the only one I havnt seen broken or bent yet. First the motor in the truck run? If it does kill that in the winter months and hold off on thelrp until spring. The longevity of the motor will thank you. Other then that enjoy your build .

I learned this from Mickey. Wrap the cooling head with tin foil tightly and thickly and hold it on with wire or strings. That will really help get the temps up.
I just did a cold weather break in on an ofna 28 and it seems to be fine.

Yep but you needed to break in a motor. All I'm saying here is if you don't have to do a cold break in its better for the motor. But yes if you need to run in the cold wrap the head to keep it warm. Another trick is to cut a pop can in half and zip tie it to the head for snow and cold isolation.

Yes the 5.9 is still like new also. I was thinking of burning it up over the winter too Too bad about the motor plate, the FML one sure looks purty....

So ERCM is less than an hour away from my place. Just orded a pipe and once the LRP gets in, its going to him too.

Spoke with Robin on the phone, great guy to deal with. Cant wait to play....

The sex showed up Friday, we are just barely getting to know eachother and she goes out to ERCM tomorrow.....and her pipe is made and waiting

photo35_zpsf0a6b573.jpg

Welcome to the forum. I've been away for a while so lots of new people to meet and lots of new things to learn. Most everyone on this website are very helpful. You picked the right site. On the other i want a 5.9 so if you end up using the lrp right off pm me. Again Welcome.

Thanks man! I am currently planning on running the 5.9 until the spring, but if I change my mind I will let you know! I also have an OFNA 086 pipe to go with it. Even if its not right away, I will gladly send it your way in a couple months.

Made some progress this weekend, as the TVP's showed up!

Gratuitous parts spread picture:

photo39_zps120d9b82.jpg

Hot Racing Steering knuckles, FLM drag link, HD spring and Acer ceramics:

photo315_zps07e41081.jpg

Made this linkage out of spare parts, should be beefy enough:

photo21_zps850057ea.jpg

Mounted the CEN tank, still needs to be a bit lower in the back but I have lots of winter left to modify it:

photo_zpsd83e0c82.jpg

Also made a mount for the throttle servo (7955TG just for mock up):

photo224_zps6dda2323.jpg

photo319_zps729f47ec.jpg

photo126_zps1166949c.jpg

I'm not too happy with the linkage but will give it a shot before making a new bracket.

Thats about as far as I am today, but will be working on mounting my Rush battery box to the front shock tower, then starting on the rear end!!

Uberbricky truck is looking good. One suggestion for your linkage is to turn the servo around so the horn is at the back of the truck. It will give you more room to bend the linkages and make them work better.

The cage showed up today! And I used a hellfire wing mount to get the look I wanted. Just need to make another carbon fiber bracket for the receiver box and wait for the Innovative LST shock mount kit and I should be set!

photo26_zps842d9b8c.jpg

photo33_zps4a15dbae.jpg

photo16_zps623bb404.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back