first post here, need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyhuntsforbliss

Hey all,
I'm from southern maine, but attend school in boston, and yes, there is room for a savage in boston, lol.

I have a new Savage Limited, I've put about a dozen tanks through it, I broke it according to the book. My friend who has like 5 nitro buggies got me into this, and helped me tune it once it was broken in, but we just can't seem to get it as fast as it should be.

Around the 8th tank we got it running sweet, pulling wheelies left and right, then i took it off a little tiny jump, and stripped a spur gear, so I changed the spur gear, which was a pain in the butt because i had to take the engine out. Then when i was setting up the mesh you can't really see, and my friend said to stick a piece of paper between the two gears, then slide the engine over, and tighten down, roll the paper out, then take one screw out at a time and use locktite. so i had a little bit of difficulty with the slipper clutch, i'm not sure how tight it should be because i didn't really play with it at factory settings, it slips now when i apply pressure, but it's tightened all the way down, is something wrong with that?
also, before i stripped the gear i was able to pull wheelies on command, now i cannot, it seems much slower, and we calculated the speed of it, and at wide open it only goes 24.68 mph, now i know that it should go faster, especially with a three speed tranny, we've tried tuning it and all that good stuff, but that's about it
is there something wrong with it? why can't it go faster? it also seems to be shifting into second and third way way way to soon, the guy at my hobby shop said that it isn't wise to play with the shift points in the three speed, and that a lot of his customers that did it are regretting that they did, but i think something got messed up when i stripped the spur gear, and it lost all it's uumph.

so please, help me get back the wheelies, and attain the 40+mph like the box says, lol.

~justin

did you replace the spur with the same tooth # that you took out? [ most lhs i go to don't have the correct gear in stock]with the silpper the new gear comes with the pad that sticks to the gear where the slipper contacts, did you install it? on my savage 4.6 ss i have to lock the nut all the way down to get it to hook up. if i don't completly lock it down it will slip and loose speed and power.[ i mean tighten it down til it wont go anymore.]somthing changed since you changed the gear, the paper method is great it gets the mesh perfect, i usally use one pice of computer paper cut in a long strip that fits in the gears and i fold it so it makes 3 thick [3 pices thickness] and it is usally the perfect lash for the gears.also welcome to the forums, this is a great forum, and congrats on getting the best rc truck out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Why fold a piece of computer paper and fold it three times? Is it just regular 11x8 paper? I thought notebook paper would be thiner than computer paper. Or is it that really thin computer paper?

Hey all,
I'm from southern maine, but attend school in boston, and yes, there is room for a savage in boston, lol.

I have a new Savage Limited, I've put about a dozen tanks through it, I broke it according to the book. My friend who has like 5 nitro buggies got me into this, and helped me tune it once it was broken in, but we just can't seem to get it as fast as it should be.

Around the 8th tank we got it running sweet, pulling wheelies left and right, then i took it off a little tiny jump, and stripped a spur gear, so I changed the spur gear, which was a pain in the butt because i had to take the engine out. Then when i was setting up the mesh you can't really see, and my friend said to stick a piece of paper between the two gears, then slide the engine over, and tighten down, roll the paper out, then take one screw out at a time and use locktite. so i had a little bit of difficulty with the slipper clutch, i'm not sure how tight it should be because i didn't really play with it at factory settings, it slips now when i apply pressure, but it's tightened all the way down, is something wrong with that?
also, before i stripped the gear i was able to pull wheelies on command, now i cannot, it seems much slower, and we calculated the speed of it, and at wide open it only goes 24.68 mph, now i know that it should go faster, especially with a three speed tranny, we've tried tuning it and all that good stuff, but that's about it
is there something wrong with it? why can't it go faster? it also seems to be shifting into second and third way way way to soon, the guy at my hobby shop said that it isn't wise to play with the shift points in the three speed, and that a lot of his customers that did it are regretting that they did, but i think something got messed up when i stripped the spur gear, and it lost all it's uumph.

so please, help me get back the wheelies, and attain the 40+mph like the box says, lol.

~justin

the slipper clutch should not slip when you manually apply pressure.
if it does slip then your spur will get too hot when running the sav and it will strip or even melt eventually.
replace the slipper pads, fully tighten the nut and turn it back 1/4 turn.
this is the correct slipper clutch setting according to the book.
if it still slips after you did this you probably need to replace the slipper clutch spring.
hope this helps!

I agree with Trashard here. What sounds like is happening is the slipper clutch is actually slipping too much so what happens is, the engine is revving up too fast, the tranny is shifting way too soon through all gears, cause the slipper is turning, and not getting all those revolutions to the drivetrain and wheels.. subsequently causing your top speed to be down.... SO, you need to check that you reassembled the slipper clutch assembly properly and with the correct size gear. If you replaced lets say a 47tooth gear with a 52 tooth gear, you are losing speed, (but should be making lots of torque, hence more wheelies) since you say you aren't getting the truck to wheelie, I'm going to say again, that points to your slipper clutch "slipping" way too much. Problems to look for. Wrong, or incorrectly applied slipper pad on the spur gear. Stripped lugs on the metal clutch that the clutch disc holds on to. Weak spring, brass bushing that has been "machined" down too narrow from slipping clutch, (Id suggest getting a new one, cheap and rules out the problem) nylock nut is no longer holding, (but being it's brand new, I doubt this is a problem yet) Most likely problem is that you stripped the two lugs, have a weak spring, or have a brass bushing that is now to thin to hold the tension when tightening down the nut. All of these things will allow slipping and all that eats up the power and doesnt' allow it to get to the wheels.. causing your problems. Good luck, and let us know what you do to remedy this, and how you make out.
Vinny

Oh, one more thing.. There's a small washer that goes on either in front or behind the spring... If its missing, or in the wrong position ( I cant remember which side its on, check your manual) This too can cause a lack of tension, and slippage.. MAKE SURE it's there and in the correct position.

......oops, posted that by mistake. I simply take the top of the transmission off it is much easirer and quicker, and the best part is that you don't have to mess with gear meshes.

......oops, posted that by mistake. I simply take the top of the transmission off it is much easirer and quicker, and the best part is that you don't have to mess with gear meshes.

if I take my engine off I screw the engine off the engine mounts.
this way I don`t have to adjust gear mesh everytime I take it off.

i use the computer paper folded like i dscribed because one pice of notenook paper[or any other paper iv tried] is too thin and makes the mesh too tight and burns up the gears. iv never had a problem with any mesh on any truck using the paper the way i described.boyhuntsforbliss make sure the spur you changed to is the same tooth count as the one you replaced.most lhs will sell you whatever they have on the shelf and give you the wrong ratio gear.[which has happened to me.... and will cause the truck to run diffrent ]

Latest posts

Members online

Back