First paint job & decals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

61impalaron

IMG_20150204_153205.jpg Well, had a body for my savage I thought I try painting the outside instead of messing with the inside. Got the decals off by heating with hair dryer.Used scotchbrite on the outside. About 5 coats of Krylon Fusion Royal Blue. Wet sanded it and buffed out by hand, and added decals. Ended up costing around $10 and about 8hrs. of work. I didn't think it turn out to bad for my first try.

Looks good, but the problem I have seen with painting the outside is the nice paint job will get all scraped up in a crash, I am not sure if the krylon is designed to flex like most RC paints are, if not it will probably flake off in bug chunks...
Long time ago i had a buddy who painted his onroad shell on the outside and when he raced it one hit on the wall and most all his paint was left on the track :D

It may stay on a little longer since you scotchbrite the surface first so the paint has something to bite into. If you painted an untreated glossy smooth surface then even a slight flex would probably flake a chunk off.
But nice job nonetheless! I was contemplating on doing similar to some olde shells I have but use them as shelf queens and pre-painted bodies for bashing.
If the paint does flake and get scraped off...you could always do a shelf queen body for display as an alternative. Put some lights and a 9v battery and light up the room in the night...lol!

Yea, I wouldn't of painted it on the outside, but it still looks good!
Yea, I wouldn't of painted it on the outside, but it still looks good!
Yeah, haven't decided if i'll run with it on or not. I have two more bodies. One of them beat to hell, Gravedigger not in to bad shape.
I used to own a small detail shop and did a lot of wet sanding & buffing out new paint jobs. I tried to buff the top of this with my dremel on slow speed with the polishing pads. Ended up burning some of the paint off so I had to redo the top. At least I know now.

Not bad at all Ron. Hope the paint hangs on for ya. The scotch brite first should help it bite in. Just don't hit anything or turn over, no problem!

Latest posts

Members online

Back