factory toe settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaceracer

does anyone know what the factory toe settings are on the XL 5.9 just got my kit and its all jacked up looking.

Most of the trucks use about 3 degrees of rear toe, it helps keep it somewhat stable at higher speeds

what about the front? and is it easier to use a ruler on the 1/8 scale trucks? my rpm gauge will not work on 1/8 scale.

front toe in varies with people, but I usually run mine about 1/8 inch toe out on my nitro rigs front end...

Last edited:
Uh, thanks JaceRacer81 for bringing up this topic

Most of the trucks use about 3 degrees of rear toe, it helps keep it somewhat stable at higher speeds
I was under the impression using less toe in the rear helped it go straighter at and faster? I can see how acceleration is affected more toe in allows the rear to follow the front coming out of a curve, but as for going straight and fast. you reduce the rear toe? As we know the traction is what causes this truck to flip over so much

Similar how more toe out in the front helps enter a turn with more power than toe in. Is this not the case? In other LESS toe in helps getting to stable high speeds. i.e. it's the opposite of the front. Additionally wouldn't camber settings affect this? What sort of setup to you run Jam

Last edited:
What sort of setup to you run Jam

I think I said that above.... 3 degrees or there abouts in the rear and about 1/8 inch toe out on the front.....
Your setting may be different and that's OK because this is why it is adjustable to suit your own needs and desires...

I meant 'type' of setup. Many of the guys I've met tune their vehicle for any given location on any given day. They said the HPISavage can be tuned as well so the suspension type (firm/soft, oils/spring) weight distrobutio, you know how on-road cars have a firmer suspension to reduce traction roll. So I am not sure what '1/8 inch' toe out means as every place I've read and heard refer to it in degrees--I am retired and don't want to convert that. Heh-heh. It sounds between 0 and -1 degree. I'm told that everyone develops a preferred feel so it's important to try many things when first starting as you might enjoy the vehicle much more if it's suited perfectly to your needs. Some of those young guys at the racing track drive their cars like it was second nature to them. My goodness it's incredible! Do you or anyone else on here race their Savage. We can race ours but it would go against truggies as they seem to be lumped in to the same class of vehicles. I found out no one else races one at the racing track but a lot of them like to watch and drive it around the track; and some of them can drive it like a bat out of you know where. Whew! I get scared seeing it 15 feet in the air but they land it perfectly each time.

Type of setup ? I mainly run on a rough unkempt bumpy surface large holes and rocks,dirtclods and ruts put there by the full size truck guys when winter comes, so my rig is setup shock wise to handle where I run (i have several electric and nitro trucks). and yes a bit of front toe out is about 1/8 inch or about 1 to 1.5 degrees I suppose, not alot but it helps my truck track a bit straighter and come out of turns easier....

you just have to fiddle with the setup to find the optimal feel you want and go from there, shock oil weight spring rates all come into play when beating the snot outta an RC truck and seeing as everyone is different no setup info I have may work just the way you want it to.....
I have raced on dirt oval and on road and offroad during my time playing with RC vehicles, now i just bash and play when I can... I can tell you racing a savage against a truggy for instance you will get your butt handed to you on the proverbial platter so racing a monster truck of any kind against those kinds of drivers would be a lesson of futility trying to win a race...

You have to remember a stock savage is mostly a basher, high center of gravity and not really suitable for racing in any kind of competition for trophys or bragging rights, this is why the Truggy type was invented (truggy /cross between buggy and truck), they are usually single speed and low to the track to make best use of the surface being raced on....

Anyway enjoy learning how to make the best use of your vehicle and try to enjoy playing with it.....

Got it. Certainly would not enter any races regardless of car I had. Looks like too much stress. It makes sense how the truggy would perform better. Lower gravity center would decrease the weight being transferred laterally...which would obviously allow it to react faster.
I notice that my HPISavage tips over more on pavement than anywhere else, and can only assume it's because the suspension is soft and its geometry allows the truck to lean, which allows for more tire contact, ultimately causing too much traction and thus it sticks and falls. I was thinking about getting a different tire tread that was more suited for on-road.

i just used my kitchen table to set the toe front and rear. Its got these perfect straight lines to line up the chassis and wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Back