f4.6 carb fix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarkill

I'm not sure about other motors, but in my opinion this is NOT the way to do it. If you are not familiar with it, this is what's up with it.

there is a thermal heat shield on the carb neck, the part that goes into the engine block. It is pressed on, and if you twist the carb or overtighten the pinch bolt it breaks free from the carb body. It will spin no matter what you do to it. You need a new carb. HPI will not warranty it, they will say it is your fault.

So I thought that I would drill, tap and put a set screw in the steel sleeve on the carb, and make it unable to spin. WRONG - snapped the steel sleeve off of the carb so once again, I got innovative.

I started by filing the flare off at the bottom of the carb neck. Then with a brass plumbing fitting, I shaved it down in a metal lathe. I got that to fit nice into the throat of the engine block. I spun it in my lathe and used a dremel at the same time and got the I.D. of the brass fitting that I needed to fit over the carb. I jb welded it to the carb with addition of tapping almost all the way through the carb body (so the screw can't fall into the crank shaft if it vibrated loose).

Sealed it up and put it back into my truck.

And the crappy cell picture that is always anticipated.

downsized_0521001849.jpg

Did I mention that it about 2 and a half hours to make this thing!:Nolol:

Just ran today for about an hour or two at a pit in lakewood, nj. Ran strong for the whole time. My glow starter ran out of battery so that ended my day.

while thats true, i believe this is a different carburetor... don't quote me on that, though. force does make the F engines and the 3.0s

Latest posts

Members online

Back