Externally adjustable 1st-2nd in a 3 speed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankinator

I was tired of splitting my savage to adjust the 1st-2nd gear in my 3 speed tranny. I know an X style easy access case is available but this still seems like a significant amount of work.

So I made 1st-2nd externally adjustable….Heres how.

Disassembled the tranny (last time I hope) and removed second gear as the adjustment is “insideâ€.

Drilled a hole through the gear…like this.
100_0517.JPG

100_0516.JPG

The adjustor is offset so the access hole in the gear has to be drilled AND angled.
100_0519.JPG

Marked and drilled the case for the outside access hole.
100_0521.JPG

Cleaned, lightly lubed and reassembled.

Notes: The gear is hardened…not easy to drill at all. Have a couple of bits. I could easily see a drill bit breaking. A drill press is highly recommended.

Obviously putting a hole where there shouldn’t be one weakens the gear. As hard has this gear is and the contact patch/mesh I don’t anticipate any durability issues but I will surely bash test and post if it breaks.

I will follow up once I run.

Good idea man, let us know how it works out. How does it mesh with the others gears now (just curious)

I agree with scrog but it is a great idea. You will definitely have to let us know if it holds up.

I like your way of thinking Hank, this is something I once thought about doing........I just couldn't be ***ed !

Good work. +1 Rep from me.

@Scrog..I will be running an STS .30 w 15/47 gearing.

They truck really rips. I just got to the gallon mark on the engine. I too am concerned about the gear durability. This engine has broken everything at least once in this drive train. First the diffs then the dog bones and most recently I stripped all the wheel hexes. If there is a weak spot it will surely show immediately. If it breaks I buy a new gear and an X tranny case...if it holds up I have ultimate adustability as I change tire sizes and and CB's often.
Going from 7" 40 series XL moabs back to stock size requires a CB change and shift point tweaks....

I will keep you all posted.

I think you should be ok, especially since it's the third gear. There is alot less torque being applied to a larger diameter gear. If it was a spur gear, it would certainly fail. What the hell, if it works your a god, if it fails, its 10$.

A round hole should not hurt too much. As long as it does not deflect it will hold up. How much did you over size the hole in respect to the size allan key?

I was tired of splitting my savage to adjust the 1st-2nd gear in my 3 speed tranny. I know an X style easy access case is available but this still seems like a significant amount of work.

So I made 1st-2nd externally adjustable….Heres how.

I will follow up once I run.

Use the macro function on your camera for close-ups if you please sir. :resp:

I'm doing this on my 3-speed tranny mated to an RBMods SureFire 32R soon...will let you all know if it pops the gear.

I've long contemplated doing this, but leery of the durability of the gear. Since it's hardened and the hole is round it shouldn't fail. Use a new sharp bit, make clean edges and it should not break that gear.

I'm gonna drill barely large enough to fit the allen in there.

I too would also like to know how it holds up. I hate having to spend the time making 1-2 shift point adjustments. Granted, with the X style trans case, it saves alot of time and is easier, but I just don't like having to spend the time taking it out, pulling 3rd gear and clutch assembly off just to make the changes. Then, once it's all put back together, having to wait the time it takes for the locktite to set. Definately interested in this mod.

This is a great ideal, As soon as I have enough money to buy a 3 speed I think I will do this straight away, but on second thoughts I don't mess with the settings on my 2 speed so I don't think I would need to...:duh:

Great Idea .. So how does that teath look after the drilling ?
did you drill between the teeth ?

Great Idea .. So how does that teath look after the drilling ?
did you drill between the teeth ?

I started with a center punch between the teeth...good luck trying to drill through the top of one of the teeth!! haha Gotta use new sharp bits designed for drilling hardened steel. Slow speed and plenty of drilling lube.

I brought it to a friend at a machine shop and started with a small bit and worked my way up until there was only enough space to fit the allen in. There is still plenty of material so that the gear should hold up fine.

I'd be concerned if there was force being applied to the *side* of the gear...but the direction the force is applied doesn't worry me at all.

Members online

Back