Evo 3 stopped running??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

I was running my RTR 3 EVO today and shortly after I was running it , it just stopped running!! It has almost a full tank of fuel in it, I put the HSN back to the factory setting, and have never touched the LSN, nor have I ever messed with the idle needle. I had to stop messing with it because I could'nt get her started after she died out, but the reason for that is because my glow plug igniter needs a charge. After the glow plug igniter is charged and I go back out to run my car, if it dies again while I'm running it should I richen, or lean-out the HSN? Or is there anything else I should try??
Thanks for the help,
Paul :duh:

set the idle screw to hold the idle open, sound's like applying the brake could be killing it?

maybe try a different plug?

lean it out a little?

do you tune with a temp gun at all?

Yup just do what Grip said, go over the simple things first before you go crazy.

- Check the idle gap with the brake applied, it should be arround 1mm - 1.5mm

- Try a new plug

- And again like Grip said lean it out a bit from factory.

If you still have a problem come back and we will get into some more advanced stuff.

OK,
I've used a temp gun and it was always running cool in the 190's. As far as setting the idle I know to take the airfilter off, and keep the brake applyed, but I'm not sure how to mesure the carb slide openning, I know I need a feelers guage, but what exactally do I messure in the carb?, And do I adjust the carb slide by turnning the idle screw? I know these are very basic questions and I apologize for them buy I just never done this before.
Paul

i just do it by eye, and ear....the opening is just shy of 1/8"...you will feel that there is a fine line with the idle...you can only go so high before the clutch engage's and wants to lurch the car forward.

keep slowly turning it until the the car starts to lurch forward, the slightly adjust it back.

(i always keep my throttle trim in neutral when adjusting the carb)

once its adjusted for idle, apply the brakes with the trim at neutral...the throttle should stop where you set it.

once that is dialed in to your liking.

turn the LSN in 1/8 turn at a time....(right is lean, left is rich)

you probably wont need to go past 1 or 2, 1/8 turn's at the most.

after that seem's ok and you can drive the car without killing it at idle, or applying the brake's....its time to lean out that HSN slightly.

i don't remember what temp's my RS4 3 used to run it....but i know 190's were cool. you might have to do some research on that, or refer to the manual to get a safe range to be in.

i think 220 will be lean enough, and safe enough to get more performance out of it (but i really cant remember)

once you find what other RS4 3 user's recommend for a safe daily driving temp, use the temp gun, and slowly start leaning it out until you get in that safe temp range.

i usually make 1 adjustment at a time, drive it for a while to unload it of any fuel, and get it up to the max temp...then re-check, and tune if need'd.

hope i helped.

when you take the air filter off, hit the throttle once (with the engine off)

you will see how the carb open and closes..when the carb closes there should be a small gap (if the carb closed all of the way, it would shut off)

the small gap allow's a small mixyure of air and fuel to constantly burn, which keeps the engine idleing.

you want to adjust the idle screw to open that opening up to spec's.

i personally use my eye's and ear's to get the right idle, because i have no way to measure.

refer to my above post for how i personally adjust the idle.

turning the idle screw to the right opens the idle, to the left close's it.

if you still have the HPI manual for your car, i would refer to that for adjusting anything on the carb as well..it help's.

Members online

No members online now.
Back