Ever screwed up and needed to start over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFixxer

100% Addict..There is no hope
I have been painting RC lids for a long time (at least 100 lids under my belt) and as a result have developed my skills pretty well. That said, I still manage once and awhile to get things screwed up beyond a simple cover up. Up until a couple months ago I always used EZ-Off oven cleaner in the yellow can to strip paint so I could start over.

Then one day I was at a buddies house and his delinquent kid had painted a colorful exploitative on his garage door after getting in some sort of trouble, who knows what. He was using a stripper I had never seen before. Its made by a company called MotsenBocker's and its called Lift Off Spray Paint Graffiti. It did the trick with no sign of the vandalism left behind. It is biodegradable and water based. He mentioned I should give it try on do-overs for RC lids.

Went to Home Depot and picked up a bottle. Man I gotta say, I will never use EZ-Off again. The stuff works great. No fumes and it won't eat your skin. Spray and wait a bit then wipe off with a paper towel. I have and old original Traxxass Stampede body that I got with my first RTR truck 9 years ago that I never used and was in perfect shape; It was prepainted so I thought there was no way this stuff would work. I was wrong. In half an hour I had a vintage stampede clear body. I also tried it on a recent purchase of a used Savage SS that had all the plastic housings painted a hideous purple with an undercoat of primer. Worked on that too..although it had to soak for about an hour to penetrate the paint and primer it did the trick.

Check it out.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbo...-Graffiti-Remover-Lift-Off-4-411-01/100040544

Nice, I need to get some of that. I have ruined a lot of nice bodies with my painting skills, or lack of skills I should say.

Nice, I need to get some of that. I have ruined a lot of nice bodies with my painting skills, or lack of skills I should say.

Takes a few screw ups to get the technique down. I was doing solid single colors at first then by about #20 started 2-toning. 10 or 15 lids later I got into fades then started playing for more detail using liquid mask. A steady hand and some planning can produce nice results. There is an order to things. Gotta remember you are painting basically in reverse from if you were painting the outside. I'm not perfect by no means but I didn't give up.

Next I will get into airbrushing and sharpie-jobs. Pretty sure this product will come in handy

After removing the paint, did the clear still look clear? I have had to remove overspray that got past my masking tape. I used mineral spirits or something like that and it clouded the clear plastic. Plus I had to rub it hard so that scratched a little. So, would this stuff be good for touch ups like that?

Left the lexan clear as new. you can peel paint off that doesnt wipe out with a paper towel. If you have to scrub its not ready.

I don't think it would work well as a touch up cleaner though.

Hey Fixxer, I was just browsing and ran across this Post. I've got a brand New original HPI Red and Black body that I never did much care for. I'm gonna get some of this stuff and give it a try. Put a custom airbrush job it instead. Really appreciate the shout out. Do you need to put the body in water or something after soaking, or just wipe it out?

Just wipe it out after it soaks for awhile. How long that while is will depend on the paint your are removing. After which best practice of course is to rinse and wash with mild soap to remove any residue left behind.

Just wipe it out after it soaks for awhile. How long that while is will depend on the paint your are removing. After which best practice of course is to rinse and wash with mild soap to remove any residue left behind.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, It did a pretty decent job of removing a three color paint job, but the stuff must be chemically stronger than you would think, because it ate the front spoiler up. Actually made rips and holes in the thin front end. As time went on, the front end just fell apart. I wrote to HPI and they replaced the body. I did it in the house and the fumes are very strong. I would recommend that you use this stuff outside. Better still. Paint it right the first time!!!!!!!!!!! LOL:)

Hmm, seems wierd you would get that sort of reaction with that stuff. You sure it was the same stuff I posted?

I use the stuff right in my kitchen and the odor is actually pleasant. I've let it sit on bodies up to a couple days w/o issues. Usually it will evaporate after 12-18 hours if I am using it on a heavy paint. Never had it eat a body as you describe.

Double check you got the same stuff I am talking about. The fact you are getting strong fumes makes me wonder.

Latest posts

Members online

Back