Engine wont run. Please Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian411

Hello everybody,
As a quick bit of background: I was given a second hand Savage X 4.1 before christmas.
I have so far changed part 1430 (uni directional bearing on starter mech), bought a 7.4 v battery and charger for the Rotostart, and a new rechargeable glow plug igniter, about 40 AA batteries(!), a couple of glow plugs etc.
Spent about 150 $ on all of this and about 30 man hours in my garage tinkering with the truck to try to get it going!!!

I have managed to run the car several times but it seems that the fuel/air mixture is way out as the engine is very lumpy and if I so much as touch the throttle control on the transmitter it splutters and conks out instantly. The engine also appears toflood very easily.
I have tried with the factory settings of flush idle screw and high speed needle but as the car had already been run in this may be wrong.
I am beginning to think there is dirt in the carburettor or that the engine is very worn and may need replacing.

I also had problems with throttle servo but by re positioning the servo horn I think I have solved this.

I am new to this but after all the time, effort and money I would really like to get this thing running but I am losing my patience and do not want to go mad and buy a new engine or spend most of my free time taking the thing apart and putting it back together again!

Any help or suggestions, however apparently obvious, are welcome.

Many thanks in advance and thanks again to the guys who helpe me out with my earlier problems.

Adrian

ok what to do now i think u need to take the carb apart just to make sure get new fuel lines and crank the high and low in 1 turn see if that helps

Redneck I would have to agree with you on this, Smiley and I had this same type of issue with his mill. We changed out the carb. with one he had on another mill and was able to get it running from their with some tuning.

ya squirrelod is awsome for info!!

I would start by putting your hsn and lsn back to the factory settings at flush with each of their respective collars. I would take the engine out of the truck and check the carb, needles, and back plate for air leaks. there is a thread on here about doing so. then I would check the fuel tank for air leaks. seal any leaks with a liquid gasket, reinstall, replace your fuel lines with new lines and try to start with everything fresh and a freshly sealed engine before you started taking carbs apart. thats just what I would do first

Yes, I read a thread titled "airtight is right"...I will see if I can make time this weekend to do this and keep everyone posted on my ongoing adventures with this truck!!!
I'll also check out the Youtube link.
I have already changed the fuel lines an think that the fuel tank and lines are are airtight but will double check.
Thanks Redneck, F1 and others!
I may post a video of me trying to run the thing so watch this space!

Members online

No members online now.
Back