engine stalling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache18

I have been breaking in my sts 30. I have a little over a 1/2 gal. through it. And when I give it gas it runs like a bat out of hell. My stalling is happening when I let off the throttle. If I let off the throttle slowly, It don't stall. I know it is one of the carb screws. But I am not to sure of which one. I can use any help I can get. Thanks guys. Joe

it sounds like its the idle screw, the one that limits the carb slide, adjust it very slightly untill the problem has gone, be carefull it does not bind on the carb slide, so as you adjust it ensure that everything moves nice and freely.

sts .30

Check And Make Sure Your Header And Pipe Gasket Are Sealed And Not Ripped That Happend To My Sts 30 And It Was Doing The Same Thing

Thanks for the help. I will be checking it out in the morning.

engine stalls

Well, I could not stand it. Could not wait til morning. Checked the seal between header and motor and replaced it. It was not cracked, but looked a little thin to me. And I checked the opening on the carb slide and it don't go close all the way. But I think I will check it after I run it and get it to stall. I think I should see where it is when it stalls(the carb slide). Thanks guy's

I ran it today until it would stall and checked the carb slide for clearance and it was not closed. Just open a little like it should be. Also changed the rubber gasket on the motor to the header. Still stalls when I let off the throttle fast. Thanks guy's for the help. Joe

I need to ask if u sealed the mill Joe.. most likely have but I know on my dm30 the lsn was leaking put some teflon tape on it... check for any tanks or leaks in your tank (very unlikely if jt built it but still).. and u tried different plugs right run a mc59 .. Thank for keeping us posted joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks site jester. I had not even thought about the plug. DA. I am running a mc9 plug. I will pick up a couple of the 59. If the plug don't do the trick. I will put the tape on it. Thanks for the help.

From the very beginning of this post, I had this sneaking feeling that it just might be as simple as richinning the lsn by 16th turns until the problem disappears. Of course, I'm sure that Site Jester is the authority on this mater, not to mention, others. He owns sts, where as, my opinion is based on tuning my 4.6. If all else fails, give this a try. It won't take more than a quick warmup to find out. I take it that the motor DOES idle ok and does'nt seem to be running fast. If it is running fast, this supports my feeling about this issue. Tell Site Gester what fuel and nitro content you're using. So, as you begin, your truck should'nt be trying to drive away for while idling for example. As you richen the lsn, your idle speed may drop abit, so blip up your idle startpoint at your TX enough to prevent any stalling when idling. You may need to do this more than once. Also, reset your idle screw each time you make your blip adjustments to where your motor is now idling at the time. This prevents unwanted idle drop and also takes the load off your servo, saving some battery life. Just remember, 16th turns, Joe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been able to run her. I am waiting for a set of 23mm hexs to get here. Hoping they will show up today. Thanks Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Back