Engine Reving High

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgetson

So I'm not sure if this is normal or not but it seems like my Savage (X 4.6 with F4.6 engine) has really high revs when I slow down or break. Its like when you down shift to early in a car and it revs really high. At first I thought it might have something to do with the transmission. I only made one adjustment on the transmission and that was turning the screw to make the truck shift earlier.
Is that where the problem would be or what else could be causing that. Or is that normal?

I did just install new clutch shoes and springs (it was doing the same thing before I installed the new clutch shoes. I also installed new bearings in the clutch bell as well).

The temperature of the engine is always around 230 to 250 and I have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Thats why i don't think that it is a lean issue. Could it have anything to do with the idle screw?

Whats the temp outside ???

In cold weather u need to run richer

Ya i changed to the aluminum hpi clutch shoes with the 1.0 springs. I did put the set screws in the clutch shoes. Should I have done that?

Ya even before i put the new clutch shoes on it was reving high when i slowed down from high speeds.

The temp outside was about 50-60 degrees fahrenheit. So like 12 degrees celsius.

Check your clutch shoes sticking on the flywheel. Ihad similar problem when i changed al. shoes. The shoes were hanging open, I filed down very little, so it was smooth. Problem solved!Good Luck

Ya i changed the low speed needle and it seems to rev normal now. It also sounds way better. Now i have a problem with the transmission spinning the rear drive shaft. I have to take that apart now and see whats wrong with it. Since its not spinning the rear differential or rear driveshaft at all there must be a missing set screw or something.

Ya it was the rear grub screw that was missing. wanted to drive the truck today so i just took the front on and used it in the rear. The truck needed a good bashing today.

Latest posts

Members online

Back