Engine rebuild question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazer X

My modded lrp has seen better days. I had some issues with it running lean due to a torn hsn oring. The piston is shot and it looks as if it sucked a glow plug element or two into the engine. The crank and sleeve seem to be ok. My question is can I buy a new piston and rod and use it with my used modded sleeve and crank? I thought about getting it pinched also. Not sure what to do.

hmm if i were you then id just get a rebuild kit and see if you still have good compression with the ols sleeve

Honestly bud. Most of the sleeve's I've pulled are wore out. Usually the pistons come out with minor to moderate wear when the sleeve is toasted.

Best idea for you, like Nate has said; try slapping a new piston in it. See what goes with that; if you have good resistance when you push the piston into the sleeve, it may run great.

However, as the needle falls bud; I'd imagine both are shot. One good thing however, you have a cylinder to go by! :) Now you can learn to mod your own! :) I'm sure someone here has a blown sleeve or two you could practice on. :)

id imagine it may have small rivets in it that you may not be able to see and when its running its losing compression when its in WOT! just replace the sleeve man!

small rivets? what are you talkin about.

if the engine still has good pinch with an old piston in it, a new piston would fit real nice. maybe just polish the sleeve to get any defects out.

I think he ment divets. Exactly what I was thinking. Those elements left a mark somewhere, you just gotta find them. If the sleeve isn't all that bad I'd try a new piston. I would get the combo with the new sleeve just in case. If it works out with just the piston, you gotta sleeve for next time. If not, try and mod it yourself. I think if you took your time you could do it, seem like a pretty crafty guy to me. Heck, I'm running the cen diffs you built. Good luck!

ah gotchya parker. sorry to nate if i sounded like a jerk.

i would do like parker said. so if you want to try to P&P the old sleeve,which I'm sure you could do, you would have the new one to use if you buggered the old one up more. you could always just use a piston out of the chevy in your garage its prolly small enough. :resp:

ah gotchya parker. sorry to nate if i sounded like a jerk.

i would do like parker said. so if you want to try to P&P the old sleeve,which I'm sure you could do, you would have the new one to use if you buggered the old one up more. you could always just use a piston out of the chevy in your garage its prolly small enough. :resp:

That's ignorant.. To bad my GAS chevy outpulls the GAS ford. :)

AGREE! and i don't think you are a jerk, Dread!! different vocab for different thoughts!(damn i cant spell)

Latest posts

Members online

Back