Engine problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j14hob

Hi I got this savage 25 about two weeks been waiting for parts to turn up to use today is the first time I tried using it it’s hard to get it started then when it does sounds like it’s wot for about 3 seconds then dies but the carb is in the idle position I have put all the screws back to factory settings does this look right sorry for dumb questions haven’t had a nitro in over ten years

Attachments

• 0519E1F7-561F-4BE8-8958-0F4EA365C57D.jpeg
    0519E1F7-561F-4BE8-8958-0F4EA365C57D.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 6686D6E5-F096-4FBD-90EA-45E1FA7FD9BE.jpeg
    6686D6E5-F096-4FBD-90EA-45E1FA7FD9BE.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 9
  • 4404BC8B-2FA3-4AFA-ADAE-352B072CE69D.jpeg
    4404BC8B-2FA3-4AFA-ADAE-352B072CE69D.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 9
If that idle gap is with throttle at neutral then it is too large, about 1mm or less. LSN looks a little lean.

I'm with lokky, that carb slide gap looks to be a bit too open. First try putting your carb setting back to "baseline" :

Nitro Star S-25
High Speed Needle (HSN): 4 1/2 Turns From Closed
Low Speed Needle (LSN): 3 Turns From Closed
Idle: About 2mm

Try to get it running, if you have the same problem with the high rpm's then back the idle screw out and close that slide gap, and then start to open the gap back up incrementally. The "2mm" designation for your idle means a 2mm gap between the slide and the edge of the venturi. If you have a 2mm pin that will work as a gage.

I thought the low speed needle looks abit low but that’s 3 turns from closed I’ve opened the idle abit to try and get it to start I’m not sure how old the nitro is that came with it does it go bad I’ve ordered new nitro just incase

Nitro fuel can go bad specifically nitro fuel will absorb moisture. I would ditch the old fuel and run fresh fuel.

I’ve got some on order
+1 on the fuel. I had a new nitro driver leave a full gallon of fuel open while he ran a tank. He refueled and the vehicle wouldn't start and run. Another guy ran his truck which was running perfect, ran out of fuel and then borrowed some from mister know it all. He could not get his truck to run on it either. "Mister know it all "never could admit that he ruined a whole gallon of fuel.
Alcohol is hydroscopic, it sucks moisture in the minute you open the container.
The only other thing I can think of is that the fuel system at the "banjo" fitting on the carb, and both the high and low speed slides, and needles have old fuel residue blocking the fuel flow through the orifices.

I’ve got it running ok now I had to turn the lsn out about six turns and play with the idle all afternoon

You leaned LSN SIX TURNS? Like whole turns?

This is how it is now

Attachments

• 6036FD21-2251-48D1-9CA4-4667E1238161.jpeg
    6036FD21-2251-48D1-9CA4-4667E1238161.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 8
When you go to buy fuel in the hobby shop I always notice there are tons of it on the shelf, and notice that the other fuel not so much. Should tell you Traxxas isn't all that good. The 2 I recommend are Torco and VP both companies make fuel for Top fuel dragsters. 1 on my list is Torco.

Thanks I am in Canada it’s slim pickins unless I do a 180 dollar order I don’t want traxxes I heard not so good thanks 👍

Torco sends it right to my house. For 44.00 it includes haz mat freight. That is for 30%. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but it might be worth a shot. Also the hobby shops here carry VP which is my second choice.

My fuel of choice is Blue Thunder 20% and honestly i've tried them all and don't notice much difference between brands as long as the fuel is fresh . Blue Thunder seemed to offer the best overall ease of tuning and holding a tune.

Traxxas fuel is fine, just seems to have a pretty high oil content.

Use what you can get. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back