Engine not turning over

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too Tall

Hi Everyone,

So here is my problem, I have the stock engine in my Savage X 4.6. I hadn’t run it in about a week, and when I pulled it out to run it, it would not turn over. The engine will turn over if I spin the flywheel around, however if I put the Roto-Start into its alloted area and turn it on the engine will not turn over. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you in advance!

Alex

OWB has probably gone bad. You can take it out and clean it up with denatured alcohol or wd-40 and it should work, but this will only be temporary. You will need to get a new OWB. I recommend you go to a pullstart also since they are not as hard on a OWB. Good Luck!

Thank You! But one problem! I'm new to nitro and I don't know what OWB means! Sorry! But switching to a pullstart does sound like a good idea!

Just to clarify, the roto start IS spinning but the motor is NOT? If the roto won't spin the motor is flooded. I had that problem today and I could not get the motor to start and it kept locking my roto but I think it was cause my engine is relatively new and I live where it is pretty cold and I can't warm up the motor.

Correct the Roto-Start is spinning however the engine is not. I took the GP out of it and used a flash light to look into it. While i was looking into it I used the Roto-Start, and the piston just sat there as if nothing was happening.

that is the OWB. It is not grabbing like Allan said. I have also heard of ruffing the shaft that goes in it lightly. after cleaning it that is.

OWB is the One Way bearing. there are 3 screws (if i remember right) that hold the rotostart assy onto the backplate. When you remove the roto assy, you will see the OWB either on the starting shaft or inside the roto. take it out and clean it up. Like I said its just a temp fix as long as the bearings inside the OWB are still good. When you put the OWB back on, make sure it goes back on the right way or when you go to turn the motor over, the OWB will not catch. Do a test run(start) before you put the motor back in to make sure it turns over.

I had a problem with my k5.9 OWB damaging the shafts. The OWB lasted through 2 shafts. I think they should make these shafts out of slightly harder metal. In this case roughing up the metal will not do any good because there is already too much metal missing from the shaft. Check both while your in the motor they may both need to be replaced.

Seems weird that it worked the last time and now it doesn't, I only say this because it should still spin the engine over without the plug in it (no resistance) does it happen to be the F 4.6? maybe the pin (inside the crank pin) is broken.

Ok so I pulled the engine out of the truck and i was looking at the OWB it spins and is gripping the shaft, however when i spin it the engine does not turn over still. Some of you suggested cleaning it and I did, but still the same out come. I can still spin the engine over by spinning the flywheel but not with the OWB. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

on the crank is a little pin it will have a very very small spring behind it. now with that said it may have become hung up and not lettin the pin come out and touch the starter shaft as it has a small grove in it that is tapered so that the pin will slide into it thus cranking the mill over. just my .02

So I took the Roto-Start plate off and got to the OWB however there is another plate. I cannot seem to get this plate to come off, any suggestions on removing it would be great! So once I get that plate off I can check and do what you said, correct Wildchild?

there are 4 screws holding the backplate on. When you take the backplate off, be very carefull. As previously stated there is a little pin and small spring sitting in the crank. If you loose them, you will not be able to start the engine until you get a new set. With that said, when you take the backplate off, see if the pin is in there. Since you said the owb is grabbing but the motor does not turn over could mean that pin may have broken off. If that pin and/or spring is not there, you will need to clean the internals of the motor, cause that pin, spring and possible metal shavings may be somehwere inside. Not good to have metal inside a motor spinning at 28K rpms, but can be fixed. As an FYI, you will see a groove in the backplate where the crank starting pin sits in to turn the motor over. The pin always sits in this groove even when the motor is at speed so it is possible it is either worn or broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I undid those 4 screws, but I'm having a hard time getting the plate off. I don't want to be to hard on it because of maybe breaking something. Any ideas on how to get it off?

Little bit of twisting, wiggling and pulling. Once you break the seal, it should slide out without much effort.

Make sure the piston is towards the top of the cylinder, on some engines it can catch on the back plate stopping it from coming out. As I said in my last post, I think the issue may be the pin.

Yes it was the pin! Thank you everyone! I would have been clueless without your help!

Glad we could help bud. The question now is why did it come out and will it do it again? for this I have no answers, maybe a pic or two if things don't look right.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back