Engine Idle keeps increasing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shog

Hello Everyone I am new here, I have read as many threads as I can but am unable to see any with this problem

I have recently acquired a second hand HPI Savage SS with a big block & 3 speed GB.

It had issues with the slipper clutch that are now fixed.

The problem I do have & am unable to rectify is as it gets hotter the idle seems to increase to the point I have to hold it on the brakes. I have checked the linkages are not binding, if I set the idle lower & wait 5mins to start running it still does it. I am unfamiliar with Nitro RC & do not know what else I can do. :mushroom:

When it is started from cold & left to idle it seems to be ok only happening after driving. I have checked that the throttle is going back to idle & it seems to be. The same gap when looking down the carby hot, cold & when running.:thinking:

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

First off, check your idle gap when the servo has the carb closed as far as it will close. It should be about 1mm. Then try richening the High Speed needle some if the first thing doesn't work.

Thank you for assisting.
I have tried both of those with no success. It as if it is sucking air & leaning out on it's own. I have checked for air leaks but unable to find any.

BTW Nice Truck you have.

looks like the guys already have ya covered but i wanted to take the time to welcome you to the forum........

welcome to hpisf shog. do you know how much fuel was put through your engine?

Thank you everyone for the welcome & the help it makes me feel not as stupid asking "Dumb Questions".

The 5.9 was put in not long before I got it. The previous owner tells me it only run 4 or 5 tanks. since I have had it I have run another 4. Could you be thinking that it may just be getting run in ? it is going better now than when I got it.

thats what I'm thinking shog is that it wasnt brokin in or it was wore out. it will get much better after a gallon or so has been through it.

Thx I will take it out on the weekend, I hope rain forcast here & run as many tanks as possible through it. I am sure the motor is not worn out. hopefilly it is just settling in.
I just read in another post the correct way of cycling an engine. I am not sure if any of this was done. So i will do it as it is still new & hopefully get some good results. But if i am correct i still have it running rich as it bogs down at high speed. There is more to get your head around in these than most people can imagine. They are not toys but little race cars.

:retarded: after the link in your post I think this is me. NICE, V NICE truck.

ya they are pretty intricate little race cars but once you come to terms with the signals your truck sends you it gets much better. the bog you are getting is a rich bog . but if it sounds like a rev limiter its very lean. on a side note leave it a bit on the rich side till it does loosen up. and thanks for the cmments on the sidewinder.

Thank you for the help & comments.
I was able to get another two tanks through it before dark & every tank seems it seems to be getting better. lots of blue smoke so it is rich. As you say & as I have read running rich is good till it's run in.

Loving my Truck Ty everyone.

Thank you very much the engine now has another ten tank fulls through it. It not only idles properly & does not change but is going better than I ever expected.

Thank you for all the help :cheers::

Thank you very much the engine now has another ten tank fulls through it. It not only idles properly & does not change but is going better than I ever expected.

Thank you for all the help :cheers::

How'd you manage to get ten tanks through it without it breaking? I'm lucky when I get two...

Very carefully. LOL.

Not really it seems fairly bullit proof atm.

I gotta get new nylon lock nuts for my tires and I should be good. I gotta put some more tanks through it so I can rid myself of this idle problem! It seems to be getting better :)

tradami some engines take longer to come around then others expesially with the k5.9. mikek1981 (i think thats his name) 5.9 took 2 gallons of fuel before it was acting properly

Would a fouled glow plug cause this? I realized I've not checked my glow plug and when I did, the very top coil didn't glow.

(I wish I could edit my posts)

If it helps at all, after I do a WOT run, it idles really high and then comes down. And I've adjusted all of my needles according to guides as for idling high after WOT but it doesn't help at all. Either it's too rich or it's too lean, there's no inbetween.

how big of adjustments are you making at a time? also whats your idle gap on the carb set at? are you making adjustments at operating temps?

Here's my routine.

1) Set to factory settings.
2) Attempt to start car.
3) Lean out the HSN 2/8th's of a turn so it's not too rich to start. It idles fine.
4) Start driving it. (It's very rich at this point)
5) Continue driving it, warming up the engine, WOT passes.
6) Lean it out 1/8th of a turn at a time.
7) As soon as I can reach third gear on pavement fairly easily, I stop leaning it out.
8) Even when it's rich (only getting to second gear), after a WOT pass, it idles high, I apply the brake and it comes back down again.
9) It reaches half tank and all hell breaks loose. It becomes [VERY] lean and idles very high. I have to richen it up about to factory settings on the HSN before it will even sit still.
10) Get frustrated, throw it in the trunk and call it a day.

Notes:

- I have had about half a gallon through it.
- My engine (K5.9) is not sealed. O-rings on the needles do look good though.
- Part of my glow plug doesn't glow. Going to replace it and see if it improves.
- I normally try to keep my tank above half at all times to avoid HTL. Haven't found a solution that will work with me yet.

ok tradami that sounds like a linkage issue to me. with the truck not running, turn the transmitter and reciever on , does it try to open the carb with no input from you?

Well I have noticed when the truck warms up, I have to adjust my trim, because it wont close all the way when it's warmed up. I'm not sure why.

But even when I DO adjust it so it's proper, I still have this problem.

I do hate that linkage though.

Mine did not start to loosen till it had 1 1/2 gal through it that was after i bought it & i am not sure how much it had been through before.

The linkages were a hassle also so i made sure the carby would fully close till the motor settled down after that that did not seem a big problem & i was able to adjust it so it was getting full throttle & still idle down without over revving.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back