Engine Debate - Picco vs. Axial vs. LRP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagechiken

LRP z.28 Spec 3
Axial .32
Picco P3 .28

I have narrowed it down to these three engines for my Savage X. :dunno:

Which engine is the overall best choice?
I am talking about after the break in period and tuning.

Which engine will leave the others in the dust?
I assume that all three engines will kill the HPI crap 4.6

So far what I have read is that........the Picco P3 is very well made, will last for 12+ gallons, and with proper tuning will smoke the competition.......the Axial .32 will give you lots of lowend torque but no topend speed, doesn't last as long as the Picco but is easier to tune and break in..........the LRP spec3 has more topend speed than the Axial .32 with similar torque and it is also easy to tune and break in, but will not out live a Picco.

I am leaning towards the Picco P3 .28 as long as its possible to get a reliable tune and beat the power of the Axial .32

I want an engine that will take a bashing and be good for jumping, flipping, racing, and wheelies. A buddy of mine thinks bigger is better and is gonna get the Axial .32 with the larger displacement. I have a hunch I could beat him with a Picco P3 .28....true or false?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the axial 32 and is a great mill, my savage didn't seem to suffer any on the top end. I am also looking for a new mill to try and the picco is the top on my list. I have read alot about the engines and I don't think the axial can run with it. The p3 is used alot in the monster truck racing and has pulled alot of top finishes. To me lasting 30 min. mains itself is impressive, much less finishing alot of 1st places.

Go ahead choose what you like the best,all three are very good engines.My choice would be the Axial since they have a very good reputation.Just my 2 cents

Get the Axial don't hesitate, you'll love it. I wouldn't recommend the Picco.

Picco ... have a good rep
never ran run but have read allot about them

I agree with stevage. All three are great mills, you will not go wrong with any of them. They all have plenty of power. They are also resonably priced. I want to try the picco just because I like the way it runs on the vids I have seen. It also is a 9 port, claimed hp. 3.3 and also runs a turbo head. I do hear they are very hard to tune. I think its Kinda like the wasp 28 which is hard to tune but once tuned it screams.

I personally have experience with all three mills. I had a axial 32 and had nothing but problems and it was replaced by axial and I sold it to a bro and when it isn't leaking air around the bearings it's a beast. I had a picco and currently run with a guy that runs a picco p7 I believe in his revo and it is strong but the truck constantly breaks so it's hard for me to tell how strong his engine really is. I currently run the z28 with the 3speed and 40 series mashers with 16/47 combo and it is silly fast, also I just put in cen diffs and I believe I got a bit more top end now. If you want an all around mill, stick with a 28 but if you want unbridled grunt go 30 or 32. I know I personally will never buy another axial due to the customer service I received from them, but that's probably an isolated incident. My next mill will be another lrp when this one is put to rest. You might have already done this but get on you tube and look up the engine your interested in and look for videos. Later and good luck with decision.:40:

First off if you're going to go axial, get the RR. This mill will go just as strong in some cases stronger the the picco. Stay away from the Axial .32 it will fall flat on it's face just after midrange. It will get there quick no doubt! It will not compare to the others on the top end though! The LRP is another great mill.

I would narrow it down to the RR or the LRP personally. I think the port config is a little better on the LRP. With the right set up on any one of these mills your buddy will not stand a chance.

If you do get the Axial make sure to also buy the turbo button head for it. Turbo plugs will give it a noticeable performance boost.

i have an axial .32 great engine. it can pull itself up a steep hill with only like a quater of power. i have had very little problems. acsept for when i was sealing it (which was my fault) i don't think i have any problems. i think it has a good top speed compared to my last engine the s-25.
hope this helps
4x4

i have a Picco 28 and a Spec 3. both motors are awesome. the Picco is much better built and has excellent bearings. never had to seal it and never will. it has brutal power very down low and it keeps on going all the way until max. rpm (which is really high for a .28), if you're gonna put this in a Savage, DO NOT gear it any less than 18/47. it was geared 18/47 when it was in my Savage and it would do rolling wheelies up until 10mph with crazy top end speed. run it rich with lots of smoke, thats how these mills like to run. it was uncontrollable and broke drivetrain parts in my Savage, so it's now sitting in my Race LST2. these mills last a LONG time when treated properly (ARO, piston @ BDC, flush the fuel). Easy to break in & tune.

now the Spec 3 is another animal. very powerful and a tiny bit faster than the Picco 28. very well built with good bearings. Some people seal it, other's don't. the bearings are good but you might wanna keep spares. i never had one leak yet though. power is smoother than the P3 and more controllable yet still very torquey. Right now it's in my Savage with a JP3 pipe connected to it. Easy to break in & tune.

Axial .32 - i haven't had a chance to run an Axial but if it's anything like a K4.6, i wouldn't waste my time. the 4.6 was a good stock motor and not much else IMO. torquey? yes! but no where near the same power of a Picco/LRP. it was also VERY leaky even after sealing it up. the carb had some pretty bad o-rings and the bearings were just as bad. plus they run out of RPM pretty quick.

just my 2 fils :)

I have had the axial 32 and is a great mill, my savage didn't seem to suffer any on the top end. I am also looking for a new mill to try and the picco is the top on my list. I have read alot about the engines and I don't think the axial can run with it. The p3 is used alot in the monster truck racing and has pulled alot of top finishes. To me lasting 30 min. mains itself is impressive, much less finishing alot of 1st places.

you guys might laugh at this question....but what is the mill you speak of when talking about engines?

A mill is the engine!

And to add I had a Axial .28RR and it was crap nothing but problems and like said above there customer service sucked. I am buying the Picco P3 soon just waiting for some wormth.

IDk?

you guys might laugh at this question....but what is the mill you speak of when talking about engines?
Really that is a good question! I have heard 'mill" for many years and never gave it much thought until now and I come up empty! Maybe it's such an old saying and I'm not old enough to know? I hope so! lol Good thread as well as I am considering what motor to get next too. I'm leaning towards an Axial because I have heard so much good stuff about them from Oregonmud
Dave

i use the picco .28 p3 in my savage, just put the buku pipe on it, 18/47 gears. the power is very smooth, and tons of it. I haven't ran the others, but i couldn't be happier with the picco. great power, very reliable, and I hear they last forever!! 10+ gallons easily.

Go ahead choose what you like the best,all three are very good engines.My choice would be the Axial since they have a very good reputation.Just my 2 cents

i had an axial .28 spec 1s and people say its stronger and better than the k4.6 since they are the same almost. with the axial cheaper and with more power than the k4.6 it makes people crazy and they rush to buy the axial. To be honest i strongly think thats a load of bull****. The axial is not more powerful, it definitely has less quality as i suffered countless leaks from the backplate, leaked from the carb base and also the front bearing. it looks the same as the K 4.6 and thats about it. Easy to tune like the k4.6 and less powerful thank the k 4.6. i had both engines and i know these are all concrete facts because i have experienced all of those things.

i will never go back to axial again because every time i had a problem it was a leak and therefore i had to operate on it ........sealing it with silicone was a nightmare and made me start hating the axial from about 5 runs in.

I repeat.........AXIAL QUALITY IS BULL****!

i will never go back to axial again because every time i had a problem it was a leak and therefore i had to operate on it ........sealing it with silicone was a nightmare and made me start hating the axial from about 5 runs in.

I repeat.........AXIAL QUALITY IS BULL****!

Never use silicone while sealing an engine !!!

So what should be used to seal our motors? I planed on doing this on the next motor I get. WWhat do you guys use?

seems like it would be ok as long as it cure's outside or in a well ventilated area, and as far of it getting hot, I think you would have bigger problems to worry about than the silicone if you run your nitro inside

Personally the best thing to use is a sealant called 1211. The best way to get it is go to your nearest Yamaha dealer and get whats called yamabond or go to your local Honda dealer and its called hondabond. This sealant is Nitro proof where as the copper and all others are not nitro proof. However in most cases you are fine with the coppers and others as the nitro doesnt get to them other than the surface but for the best its that 1211 but you will pay for it as its about 3X's as expensave.

Thanks, I was thinking something was shooting right over my head or I wasn't reading something right. I just got finished removing the silicone off my head, I had used it to tack the nomadio temp sensor in place. epoxy is too permanent

larsenracing, thanks for the info. I will probably stick with the copper stuff, I think it's fine in this application, just make sure to let it cure outside, and really the motor shouldn't get over 300 degrees anyway, I am usually pretty far from my savage anyway..

It is good to know about the silicone anyway.

Members online

No members online now.
Back