Engine cuts out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rody

Hi all,

I have a question that I can't figure out with my Savage. It's a Savage 25 with the stock engine. I haven't run in in a couple of years, and I got the urge to run it today. It started up pretty easily, and after a few adjustments idled well. The problem I'm having is that if I either blip the throttle quickly, or let the throttle down quickly the engine dies. It seems to work ok if I speed up gradually and slow gradually, but any quick throttle movements shut the motor down. I checked the glow plug, and it seems to be ok (it glows brightly when on the starter). I'm using some old Trinity Monster 20% fuel, that I stored properly (in a dark place away from the floor). Could the old fuel be the problem? I want to get my Savage running right so I can take it camping in a few weeks, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Thanks for any help you could provide.

Set the truck on a block of wood so the tires are off the ground, and raise the idle to just before the wheels start spinning. Set it so the wheels are spinning very slowly and then back it off about 1/4 turn

I had this issue recently with my engine as well. Oddly I was using old trinity monster fuel too.....lol. Turns out that I just needed to retune my low speed needle. Depending on how you stored your engine, there could be any number of issues.

Thanks Upbasher, I'll try that.

Hey X do you remember if you had to lean or richen the low speed needle?

you can try going 1 hour richer and see if that helps, if is worse then go 2 hours leaner and try that, also may be just some fuel residue inside the carb causin it so maybe runnin it will clear it out.... either way is a game of rich vs lean, good luck with ur rig

lean refers to not enough fuel , so turn the high needle counterclockwise by about 2 hours , think of the needle as a clock face if that helps any at all...also turn the low needle out by a touch... make any adjustments with the engine at operating temp, or at least above 200 degrees....

15250_01.jpg

Low end needle is there inside the carb slide, the Hi needle is the black capped adjustment on the brass barrel

Latest posts

Members online

Back