Engine choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumo Savage

I am selling my slash and the guy is going to throw in a tmaxx for free. I'm gonna clean it over time and get rpm a arms and bulkheads. I am thinking of putting in a .21 size novarossi in it or getting a lrp .30 for the savage and putting the k4.6 in the tmaxx. I am not thinking of doing it anytime soon but I am just trying to have a good plan ahead of time. Would the tmaxx handle a .21 or 4.6? It's hard to find a small block for the tmaxx at an affordable price.

If it's an old 2.5 t-maxx, not sure how you will shoehorn a big block into it. I had one back in the day, converted to big block using an XTM 21 conversion, which had an elongated chassis, chassis rails and rear center axle. Even with a mild 21 in it, it was tough keeping the diffs and transmission from grenading. I ran an OS21RG in it. I gave up trying and just ended up going with a savage to use a big block in.

If it's an old 2.5 t-maxx, not sure how you will shoehorn a big block into it. I had one back in the day, converted to big block using an XTM 21 conversion, which had an elongated chassis, chassis rails and rear center axle. Even with a mild 21 in it, it was tough keeping the diffs and transmission from grenading. I ran an OS21RG in it. I gave up trying and just ended up going with a savage to use a big block in.
Any small blocks I can use? I'm trying to keep things on a budget.

For the short maxx, a TRX3.3 is probably the easiest/cheapest solution.

I haven't had great luck with them, or have been overly impressed with them in my revo's, but considering what's available, it's about the only option worth going with. There aren't many rear exhaust small blocks around these days. I have an OS21TM in one of my revo's, and while it's not a bad engine, I don't know that it's worth the $260 pricetag. It tunes nice and has decent power, but I couldn't honestly say it's twice as good as the $130 3.3 it replaced. It's better and I can live with it, but not sure I'd get it again.

Before OFNA closed shop, they made a couple good replacements. Finding one of those now would be like finding a unicorn though. There was a 21, 26 and 28 I think.

This might be an option if you like to gamble:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitro-Motor...00-/142356199462?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
You might want to measure your motor mount though to compare to the measurement diagram to see if it will fit. If that's a knock off of the force max 28, I thought those used a different motor mount than stock.

iF THATS A .28 wouldn't the .21 be a good amount of power for it if I was easy on the throttle. Its a novarossi and it's only 35 more than that Chinese motor

What Novarossi 21 are you looking at? I knew they had a .15, but it's kind of purpose built for the revo:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/novaro...06-tuned-pipe-revo-turbo-nvrn25scrt-r/p149074

Oh, they have a t-maxx version:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/novaro...-tuned-pipe-tmaxx-turbo-nvrn25scrt-tm/p149075

They are both just a .15ci/2.5cc though.

Also, if you read the reviews for it, they aren't that great, at least on a-main. With the roto-start, that could be a bit annoying with the rear tower in the way.

There's a dynamite .19 too, if you really don't want the traxxas engine:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/DYN070...262641317210&gclid=CKed_oCK-9QCFQcOaQodi9gLjg

A 3.3 isnt a bad engine at all. Upgrade it to a Losi 3.4 carb and that will solve most of its problems. I have one on my Revo and it hauls butt and tunes well after the carb swap. Or you could put a 2.5 in and not have to worry so much about the driveline.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking if it would be a good idea to even keep the thing or just consider buying another savage if I want. One is selling for 200 practically new (no scratches on skids or anything)

Buy the Savage! You know why! Pass the T-Maxx onto the next guy,let him deal with the nonsense of upgrading pretty much the whole truck before any trigger time is had.

Buy the Savage! You know why! Pass the T-Maxx onto the next guy,let him deal with the nonsense of upgrading pretty much the whole truck before any trigger time is had.
Yah if I do end up doing anything it'll def be with a savage

Latest posts

Members online

Back