editing vids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK i have another problem.. i have used a camera to record the vids and windows movie maker dosenot reconize the file type!! what can i do to convert it ive tryed but cant figure it out..please help

If you want simplicity:
Windows Movie Maker on PC (I hate that thing! It does work most of the time though.)
iMovie on Mac (very good and comes with the Mac itself)

If you want power, Adobe Premiere (PC and Mac) is very good and my personal favorite when iMovie isn't up for the task. It may require a bit of fiddling around to get to know the application though, but it is well worth it in the end because you can do pretty much everything you want. It costs quite a lot of money, but you *could* get it through more "unofficial" ways if you know what I mean ;)

For converting video files to something Windows Movie Maker can recognize, check out HandBrake. This app truly rocks. Look for the "presets" panel in Handbrake, you can try to convert the video using a couple of presets and see what works with Movie Maker.

OK this is a pain in my a$$.. now i got the vids over to windows movie maker and now you tube wont allow me to upload..What gives?? any ideas please help

OK this is a pain in my a$$.. now i got the vids over to windows movie maker and now you tube wont allow me to upload..What gives?? any ideas please help

I don't want to offend you since I don't know how good you are with computers, but I often see people try to use the project files instead of exporting the video. Did you export your video to a .wmv file, or did you try to upload your project file (not a .wmv file)?

If you exported to .wmv, from what I've read YouTube accepts those files, but I guess a .mpg file would be best if you can convert the wmv to mpg first. There are a lot of applications which make this possible, but I don't know of a good free one unfortunately. You should have no problem finding one. And if you have to choose a codec for converting to a .mpg file, your best bet is h.264 or mpeg 2 if available. You'll see that in the application you've downloaded.

Keep in mind though that each time you convert your video to another format you lose some video quality.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to offend you since I don't know how good you are with computers, but I often see people try to use the project files instead of exporting the video. Did you export your video to a .wmv file, or did you try to upload your project file (not a .wmv file)?

If you exported to .wmv, from what I've read YouTube accepts those files, but I guess a .mpg file would be best if you can convert the wmv to mpg first. There are a lot of applications which make this possible, but I don't know of a good free one unfortunately. You should have no problem finding one. And if you have to choose a codec for converting to a .mpg file, your best bet is h.264 or mpeg 2 if available. You'll see that in the application you've downloaded.

Keep in mind though that each time you convert your video to another format you lose some video quality.

Good luck!

thanks i think i got it! i did not export:duh: just as you said thanks again you have been a big help. and thanks every one else as well! you all helped me throu this :resp:

i use windows moviemaker if i want a quick put to gether and export out in hd don't ask lol great quality on youtube but i use sony vegas pro 8 or 9 and that takes hours to get used to lol

i will, but what do i do about quality. it is real good untill i convert then download to youtube???
The quality you lose is being lost before the vid gets to youtube.haven't used moviemaker for a while,so i cant remember what file formats you can export stuff as,but you should try to export it /save it as a jpeg/jpeg2 rather than mp4(i looked but i cant see what format you uploaded it as).
Just out of curiosity,what format is the video coming out of the camera as (what are you converting from)?

The quality you lose is being lost before the vid gets to youtube.haven't used moviemaker for a while,so i cant remember what file formats you can export stuff as,but you should try to export it /save it as a jpeg/jpeg2 rather than mp4(i looked but i cant see what format you uploaded it as).
Just out of curiosity,what format is the video coming out of the camera as (what are you converting from)?

it is a Kodak camera wich is a MOV. file
the quality is verry good when i watch it on Windows Movie Maker but on you tube it sucks

it is a Kodak camera wich is a MOV. file
the quality is verry good when i watch it on Windows Movie Maker but on you tube it sucks

Did you try to open your exported .wmv file directly on your computer to see if the quality is reduced a lot when you export the movie before uploading it to YouTube?

There must be some parameters you can adjust when you export the movie to .wmv from Windows Movie Maker. I don't use Windows Movie Maker personnally, but try to look for some quality presets in the export window.

If there are no presets you can select some settings manually:

For audio, anything higher than 64kbps mp3 should give reasonably good sound (by YouTube standards...).

For video, see if you can find some parameters to adjust (bitrate, picture compression, codec, etc.) and export a few times using different parameters, taking note of settings as you do it. You'll be able to see which settings give the best results that way (it's hard to explain really, the video parameters are dependent to a certain point when it comes to the quality of the output file, for example the quality produced by the bitrate value depend on the codec).

The easiest way to do it would be to experiment with the parameters and a short project which you can export very fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had a look in movie maker,theres no way to adjust the settings/properties:(.The only options you have to save are:

moviemakerscreen.jpg

Looks like they all save as a WMV.As Form said,the best bet is to try each of the different options on the list & see which one comes out best.

Used to have a similar problem to this,ended up downloading the trial version of some program(forget which one).The thing with the trial version is that it would only covert 50% of the video ,so if we were shooting 20 seconds of video,we would have to let the camera run for 40 seconds:lmao4:

Have had a look in movie maker,theres no way to adjust the settings/properties:(.The only options you have to save are:

moviemakerscreen.jpg

Looks like they all save as a WMV.As Form said,the best bet is to try each of the different options on the list & see which one comes out best.

Used to have a similar problem to this,ended up downloading the trial version of some program(forget which one).The thing with the trial version is that it would only covert 50% of the video ,so if we were shooting 20 seconds of video,we would have to let the camera run for 40 seconds:lmao4:

Nitromite, you should try the first three in the list. The others are overkill for the video source you have (except VHS but this shouldn't look very good). One of those should give good results.

Nitromite, you should try the first three in the list. The others are overkill for the video source you have (except VHS but this shouldn't look very good). One of those should give good results.
thanks again i will keep trying till i get it right..looks like I'm not the only one with problems maybe this thread will help more than just me...:highfive:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back