Easy Sway Bars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragin

After reading another thread I decided to experiment. I came up with a cheap easy alternative to purchasing a sway bar kit that doesn't really work on the X style bulkhead. The pictures are of the mock up which used thinner wire than will be used on the final product. Even though I used 1/16" music wire I still noticed the truck handling better so the 1/8" I will use later should have a more pronounced effect. It should be noted that I have the adjustable upper arms.

dsc00026ja9.jpg

Parts needed for this:
11" piece of 1/16" music wire
2x linkage collars
2x 10mm pieces of antenna tube
2x 10mm pieces of heat shrink tubing
2x screws with a 10mm washer for each
The heat shrink goes onto the antenna tube to make a bushing. These are only needed because the wire is so thin. Obviously thicker wire will not require these.

dsc00028bw9.jpg

The hole is where the "bushing" will go.

dsc00025wn1.jpg

Here you can see the 2 screws with washers above the tie rods. If you are familiar with the X bulkheads (may also apply to others but IDK) there is a notch just above those screw like a sway bar was meant to be there. That is where you want the bar to go. The screws and washers lock it in nicely.

imag0011hu8.jpg

Here you can see the bar installed and how it goes through the upper arm. I bent the wire so it's close but clears the springs.

I should be getting some 1/8" wire soon. The notch in the bulkhead will easily accept it with no modification required. I think the most I will have to do is put the heat shrink tubing on the wire to fill hole in the arm and get different linkage collars. I will update after I get the heavier stuff mounted up.

Enjoy!!

Members online

Back