Easy-Off De-Anodizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellerrc

I've been doing this for years now and will share the proper way to De-Anodize using Easy-Off. The first step is to go out and purchase a can of Heavy-Duty Easy-Off. I prefer the Lemon scented one. LOL!! Get a pair of rubber gloves (If your Skin Is Soft) and spray the piece that you would like to De-Anodize Refer to Pic #1
DSC03113.jpg

Pic #2 is of the K4.6 Head after I sprayed it with the easy-Off
DSC03110.jpg

Pic #3 is after 3 minutes try and not leave it on for too long.
DSC03119.jpg

Pic #4 Is when you flip over the head and re-spray generously. Let sit another 3 mins. It should look like this Bubbling/Working
DSC03120.jpg

Now you need to rinse the head very well. then polish and smooth out the head if you want some shine on it. I use 600 grit Ultra Fine wet Sandpaper for starting then #0000 Steel Wool. It should look like this at this point.
DSC03130.jpg

The final polish is up to you if you want to take it that far I usually do so I'll tell you that I use a Mother Billet Polish for the final Shine. Hope this helps people out that don't care for the Hpi Purple. This Entire process should only take about an hour from start to Finish. Here's the final result.
DSC03131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one more pic of that engine all polished up STELLER!!!
DSC03151.jpg

seems fairly easy to do.. thanks for posting it, should help a few people!!!!!

The K4.6 block is unpainted. The HO 4.6 is the painted block.

The head came out good steller!

I will add for all the new guys that this weakens parts but looks cool... So do it at you own risk. Parts like motor plates and the like will wear and fail twice as fast. But bye- bye Ugly purple!!! Some things are just worth it in the end...

Drano crystals work as well. Actually a lot faster. takes about 1 min to totally deanno a part.

Sure does, The crystals are da bomb, but both work great.

How long did it take you to polish the block. WOW, looks sick. Take a pict of it assembled and post here I wanna see it.

u need to be careful with this. i know easy off does it as well as greased lightening, drano too. all of these things actually eat aluminum. so don't forget your parts in the sink, they wont be usable. or u can just cover anything on the engine that needs to fit perfect, sacu as the space between the head and the block. and when its done be sure to clean it thouroughly or any reside left over in any small spots will continue to eat away, you will need to take off backplates and anything that doesnt allways seal tight because it can get in the small spots. i have done this before and it comes out great. but i do know some people that did'nt do it right and ended up witha paper-weight. that is a good job u did too.

godspeed is correct I have seen a guy on a forum leave the stuff in to long and in the end the parts were unusable.

I also don't suggest doing this to a block because it needs to be fairly tight where the sleeve slides down or air will escape to other ports. Steller didn't do this to his block as described above as it was an uncoated block, which he just polished.

bump an old thread ...

I tired this. Went and bought the HD easy off and soaked for 3-4 mins and rinsed. Nothing came off. i have the .21 savage stock head.

I heard they changed their formula to make it less "hardcore".

They may have reduced the molarity of the NaOH solution, but it should still remove the anodizing. It will just take longer.

I was actually talking about the easy-off, sorry. I think they had to make it weaker for safety purposes or so I heard. Don't know how true it is.

greased lightning isnt anywhere near as strong. i soaked a head in it for a week, and it still had a lot of anno left on it

Latest posts

Members online

Back