Dyeing chromed plastic parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

I ran across this the other day, I had no idea it could be done, it can, at least on RPM's plastic chorme parts, like the wheels.

chrome
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/dyepg2.htm

white
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/faq/dye.htm

I don't know for sure if this will work on other brand's parts but I don't see why it wouldn't. RPM does have this statment on their page, so the same apply's here.

"Cautionary notes from RPM: We have tested this dye process on RPM chrome wheels only. If you decide to attempt to dye any other manufacturer's wheels (chrome or natural), you do so at your own risk. Some other manufacturer's wheels can possibly melt when subjected to the high temperatures of boiling water. Although we have had a 100% success rate when dying our wheels without any negative effects, RPM cannot be held responsible for any negative effects you may encounter."

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. I like that idea, but on normal chrome wheels it's just a coating of paint. I'm not sure how RPM create their chrome finish, but I can't imagine the chrome paint staying on too well when it's dyed. Chrome paint normaly falls of just by looking at it, so I would not try it. I would like to try removing the chrome paint first and then dying them. The affect wouldn't be as dramatic, but at least it would stay that way !

What makes me think dyeing the chromed plastic from other manufactures might work, is because other manufactuers also sell colored chrome wheels, there's a chance they color them the same way as RPM? I will try it if I ever have to remove a set of tires off the stock wheels.

I have a pair of chrome rims that a kind of beat up. I think Ill try to find some RIT dye and give it a shot. Ill let everyone know how it works out, provided I can find the dye.

I have a pair of chrome rims that a kind of beat up. I think Ill try to find some RIT dye and give it a shot. Ill let everyone know how it works out, provided I can find the dye.

cool, i would love to know

Its looking like it might have to wait. I haven't been able to find the dye yet and I'm having trouble getting the tires off the rims. They are glued on there pretty good. Anyone have any advice how to get the tires off without ruining them or the rims?

You have to soak the rims/tires in Acetone, which eats the CA glue. theo only problem then is that your foams are shot.

Just get the Acetone from a Lowes or Home depot, they sell it in the paint aisle. I soak each bead for 2 hours and it works like a charm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back