DX3R Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pope

I picked up a DX3R about a month ago and have been using it and figured it was time for a review.

The DX3R is put out by spectrum and is there top of the line surface radio. It is a 2.4gz DSM2 radio with 30 model memory and all digital controls.

It comes with 1 DSM2 receiver, the TX, RX battery holder, on/off switch, everything you would need to convert it to a left handed radio, and instructions.

The first step of the set up is to bind the radio. When binding the radio apply full break on the radio to set the failsafe on the radio. Binding itself is easy enough you install the bind plug into the power port on the RX and put the power supply into the AUX port than enter the bind menu in the TX. After about 30 seconds you will be told that the radio has been bound. One very important step that people often forget is that after eveything has been set up on the radio rebind it to be sure that if you reversed any of the servo's that the Failsafe applies the breaks not the gas.

Navagation through the menus is very straight forward. The scroll wheel on the back of the remote is all you need to set up everything. It also has six face buttons (3 one the grip and 3 around the wheel) that can be set as shortcuts to the various setings. It has all of the settings you would expect to find on a high end radio. Trim, Sub trim, Expo, Dual Rate, Travel on both steering and T/B.

The radio itself takes only 4 batteries and has a low voltage warning that can be adjusted to your liking. It can take rechargeable batteries in the TX but you have to be sure that the charger you are using is either a Spectrum or JR charger.

For those that have other DSM1 spectrum receivers you can still use them as the radio is backwards compatible with 90% of DSM1 surface receivers. However when using the DSM1 receivers you will not be able to use the fastest frame rate of 5.5 you will have to use the 11.5 setting.

The DX3R offers a 5.5 setting on frame rate when using a DSM2 receiver and digital servo's. This actually makes a noticable diffrence in servo response over the 11.5 setting and is a great addition for anyone racing. For bashers it is not such a big deal as 11.5 with good digital servo's is still very fast.

As for range. I have yet to find the limits as I have not hit them.

Things I liked:

Easy to understand and use menues.
6 programable shortcut buttons on the TX make it very easy to customize the remote to your needs.
The DSM2 addition means you will never have an issue with interfience and also faster servo response.

Things I did not like:

No option to backlite the screen
The remote is to lite in the hand
Telemtry is not missed at all by me but it would have been nice to have RX pack voltage added.

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

nice review pope and i agree the rx voltage is nice to know . my dx3s has it and its the only telemitry i use. +rep well i would but i need to spread it around first

great review pope!! i've been thinking of upgrading my radio so this helps alot!!

Nice review! I run a DX3R. Great set up. Nice and light. I was shocked to find out that you can run more than 4 batteries in the controller? I don't know much about it as my brother just picked up a used one and it had 5 batteries in it. It seems that you can add an extra battery to keep the voltage up over a longer period of time. You can see mine on the right with 4 batteries and the new to him(used) on the left.

DX3R001.jpg

kool review Alex, glad you like it.

Did i miss how much the DX3R costs & what radio you upgrade from?

I am sorry I was upgrading from the stock radio. The radio retails for 299 but I picked it up as a special for 249.

+reps great review Alex. if i was gonna get a Speky it would be this one. sounds like you scored a great deal on it.

For me and alot of guys though the advantages of the 3R out weigh the rx voltage read out. The rpm and temp are inaccurate at best and most guys end up not using them anyway so no loss there IMO.

The rpm and temp are inaccurate at best and most guys end up not using them anyway so no loss there IMO.

The telemetry really sold me on the 3S, both of my nitro R/Cs that were initially setup with RPM, on one sensor the wires have came off numerous times, the other is sketchy when it wants to read.

I wish the 3S had the 3-position AUX switch like the 3R instead of the toggle 2-way switch now that I have a crawler. ..

Been a little over 6 months and I still love this remote. No problems at all and I have found quite a few more RC's to bind to it including

RC18
Vendetta
12r5.1
scalpel
mini-t
and soon a Hellfire

It has proformed flawlessly with all of them and the functions and percision of the remote has become even more aparant with the move to Brushless 1/12 pan car.

Good reveiw alex.

I ended up picking up the same radio in the last week, I love it. I had the Dx3s but i thought it was time for an up grade. I have had no problems what so ever with mine. I think it is smoother then the Dx3s, My next up grade is the futaba 4pk. Mabe.. I'm digging this 3r pretty good. So we will see..?

Latest posts

Members online

Back