dual brake conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dxtreme

i did the conversion over the weekend and now after running for 1 hr i gotta replace one of the discs. i bought the fiberglass kit and the one disc is near broke in half. could this be from me setting the screws too tight? what else could it be from?

That's not good. I have just installed the dual cf disc kit on my soon to be brushless savage. I have read that the dual cf brake kit was really good. Hopefully this is a one off. Your clutch bell isn't hitting the discs is it? Also do you have a skid plate? The cf discs may be a bit more easily to damaged then the metal discs.

As far as setting the screws to tight, you shouldn't be able too. The 2 0.5mm washers should stop the screws from being over tightened, as long as they haven't deformed. Also do the discs spin freely when the brakes are not applied?

Last edited by a moderator:
the kit i got is hpi's fiberglass kit. i installed everything as per the instructions

Check the CB and see if you can see any marks, Ive had my cb chew one of my disk up. The cause was a cracked engine plate. It was letting the motor tork forward into the disk.

my clutch bell can hit my discs and my engine plate is definitely not cracked. I haven't checked the clearance on the cf discs cause it's not going to have a clutch and I haven't built that much yet.

ya know i never thought about looking at that and i just recently put a bigger cb on went from a 15 to 18 when i did the upgrade. hmm now u got me wondering if thats my problem. i'll check that out tomorrow and let u guys know

i had the same thing happen from a cracked engine plate and it stripped the spur gear

u know its funny u say about the stripped spur gear i went thru 2 of them saturday. one right after the conversion and one later on in the day

well i found some stuff out tonight. tore out the tranny again to replace my disc replaced it with a t-maxx brake disc after slight modification everything was fine and dandy til i went to re-install it. noticed the engine plate was a little bent or i thought it was. took the engine plate out and low and behold its cracked in not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 but 5 or 6 spots. wow that was my problem this whole time lol. a friend of mine built me a new engine mount plate tonight and i'll be putting it in tomorrow. look for some pics tomorrow of the build of the plate. started off as a main chassis plate for his wrecked ofna buggy lol. definately alot thicker so stronger is the key lol

wow. My plate isn't cracked and my clutch bell can hit my brakes. I have rebuilt my savage to find I can't use it as the clutch bell is really hitting my brakes. Maybe my engine plate is bent just enough that it touches but not enough to be noticeable.

well i found some stuff out tonight. tore out the tranny again to replace my disc replaced it with a t-maxx brake disc after slight modification everything was fine and dandy til i went to re-install it. noticed the engine plate was a little bent or i thought it was. took the engine plate out and low and behold its cracked in not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4 but 5 or 6 spots. wow that was my problem this whole time lol. a friend of mine built me a new engine mount plate tonight and i'll be putting it in tomorrow. look for some pics tomorrow of the build of the plate. started off as a main chassis plate for his wrecked ofna buggy lol. definately alot thicker so stronger is the key lol

Great to here ya found your problem. sometimes ya gotta dig deeper. Good ya found the prob b4 ripping up more parts.

WOW you guys are saying that the CB is hitting your Disk break's.. are you by chance running a LCG TVP or Stock TVP's

I would have to say that if your running stock TVP's and your CB is hitting them then we all should have a FACTORY RECALL on our trucks or at least FREE BREAKS for life that would be a BAD DESIGN. I'm gonna look at mine now .

I'm running the stock 25 chassis plates. I have the dual metal disk brakes on that truck and they hit my clutch bell with stock gearing. If someone can tell me how much clearance they have between the cb and brakes with 49t spur and I think 17t pinion (don't quote me on that) I'd love to know?

Ok a few months ago DOOBEEWHA came up with a mod to the motor mount.

It was sanding down the base to help fit the bigger sizes of CB and SPUR GEAR. this would be a bad thing due to the fact that the clearence between the CB and The dule metal disk's is .040 on my truck stock TVP's running 15 CB 49 and 47 SPUR combo's mine do not hit the disk's its close but NOT hitting.

My motor plate must be bent ever so slightly. I'm going to put a 52t spur on which will hopefully get my some clearance and in a while upgrade my tvps and motor plate to flm ones which should solve the issue.

well after alot of filing,grinding,filing and more filing the motor plate is almost done. just some finishing work to do and its call good. looks like a exact match to the stock one besides a few holes and no x cut out for the savy x plate. should be alot stronger. when its done i'll post up pics of progress before during and after. i'll let everyone know how things turn out hopefully this weekend

well sorry for no responses in here haven't had much time to work on it from the last time. still sitting at my friends house in pieces still almost completely done. should be able to get out there wednesday or friday and finish it up.

well got out there tonight and finally installed the new plate and wow it fit like a glove like it should have. i'll try and post up the pics tonight of the progress.

well guess what investigation was right i did have a cracked engine plate. replaced the plate and will be rebuilding or replacing the motor soon

2d, cool to see you following up on this thread. i seen 3 years have passed between your last 2 posts.

bring us up to speed, what you been up to my man? :resp:

what haven't i been doing. lol. alot of things have changed in 3 years for sure. i am in the process of researching for a new motor for this truck. i need one. i want to go bigger if not go with same size any suggestions?

yeah, i would recommend a .28 and no bigger.

your budget will be a big factor in your decision.

the F4.6 that comes stock in the savage X rtr can be had for $100.00 + shipping
http://www.sickhobbies.com/Main.html its a good little mill for that kinda money; the one that came stock in my X rtr is still running in my son's hellfire.

LRP Spec 3 .28 has always been a favourite of the forum http://cgi.ebay.com/LRP-32802-VTEC-Z-28R-Z28R-28-SPEC-3-TRUGGY-ENGINE-NEW-/390243131960?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adc4da238#ht_2396wt_698

heck yea 100 bucks was what i was wanting to spend and i reallly wanted the 4.6 sweet. i know what I'm getting. will all my engine attachments ie exhaust and cb and everything else bolt right up to that engine off my 4.1?

a few members here have ran the axials and liked them but there not known to last as long as some of the others!!! as frddyj said if your wanting to stick with hpi go with the f 4.6 not the k 4.6, the k 4.6 has the midrange needle as well and is just a pain lol but the f 4.6 has just the low speed and high speed needle to deal with!!!

ok I'm gonna go with the 4.6. i just sent a request on a price so we'll see what happens

hey frddyj no response back from the website you had posted. i have actually found either a brand new axial for 120 or a used f4.6 for about half that. i can't make up my mind if i should go brand new or go cheaper and get used. I'm really leaning towards brand new that way i know everything about the motor. would all the old stuff ie clutch bell,flywheel,clutches all bolt right up to the axial from the 4.1 that is currently on there?

Latest posts

Members online

Back