Driving in the snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The engine will still run fine in the cold depending on how its tuned. HOWEVER the engine will most likely run much cooler than what it was intended to and cause a lot more wear on the piston and sleeve. ALSO make absolutely sure that your electronics are waterproof. Get waterproof servos and make sure the receiver is sealed up very tight. And blow the snow off of it when you're done. Runaways do happen because of water

Yes. The engine will still run fine in the cold depending on how its tuned. HOWEVER the engine will most likely run much cooler than what it was intended to and cause a lot more wear on the piston and sleeve. ALSO make absolutely sure that your electronics are waterproof. Get waterproof servos and make sure the receiver is sealed up very tight. And blow the snow off of it when you're done. Runaways do happen because of water
Great points
Thanks

Yes, you can run in snow.
2005-0105-SavageSnowTop.JPG

As mentioned, the tune will be a bit wonky, especially if snow hits the engine. It drops the temp of the engine really fast and then it seems pig rich until it warms back up. I found that wrapping the engine with a piece of bicycle inner tube and ziptie helps retain some of the heat while the rubber allows the water to shed off vs holding it against the head like a sock does. I use a sock when it's cool out but dry.

My revo with inner tube around the head for cold running:
2005-1201-RevoTopServoCaseOpen.jpg

I don't run nitro in the snow anymore though. Kind of why I got into electric. Many of my nitro running places went away and now I'm forced to drive closer to people and the quiet of electric gets the cops called less frequently.

That was back when I tried using plasti-dip and o-rings under the servo horn to waterproof them. Never worked that great and now there are many servos out there that are waterproof, so that's all I buy.

I always put my receiver in a balloon and ziptie it. I also put my receiver packs in a balloon and ziptie the neck around the wires, wrap it with electrical tape so vibration/rubbing doesn't wear holes in the balloon.

This was an old 5xAA pack I made many years ago in a balloon and wrapped up:
2004-Parts-BatteryPackBalloonandTape-closeup.jpg

Now I just run normal 2/3A hump/flat packs, but still put them in a balloon and wrap them with tape as I tend to run in wet grass and I'm not bashful with the garden hose after running in dirt/mud. So even though I don't run in the winter with them, I still waterproof the best I can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back