drive shaft o-ring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOLLYW00D

howdy, looking over the RSC instructions and then at the Flux manual closer, it seems that i do not have the 75080 o-rings in my diff cups. are these necessary to prevent wear or are they just there to quiet things down? according to the manual, there should be o-rings in the diff cups mating up with drive shafts and not dogbones and not axles. would there be any benefit of installing an o-ring in the axles and the cups that hold the dogbones?

well, for the heck of it, i sourced an o-ring that would fit into the diff cups and it seems to help prevent the drive shafts from clanking around. *shrug*

i have been running my savage for about a year without them and didn't face any problem till now and am shure i won't face any prob. in the future

They always wrinkle up and fall out of my cups after a few runs so i don't bother with them anymore.

not sure what durometer the o-rings are that HPI uses in this application, probably 70A, but i snugged 75A o-rings in there (diff cups). the diff cups don't taper/round like the inside of the axles, so maybe that's why they're not "everywhere" on the truck. thanks for the heads up on the wrinkling/falling out. i'll keep my eye out for that.

if you put o-rings in both the diff cups and the axles, you will start bending/breaking bones like there is no tomorrow. this is because with orings in both places, the bone does not have any room to travel inside the drive cup. One o-ring inside the diff cup should be all you really need.

With that said, with my RSC setup, I continually pop the bones out of the drive cups when making a right hand turn. This is becasue there is no physical stop in the steering system to prevent the wheels from turning too far. don't have the problem going to the left because the end of the steering link from the the servo physically hits the drag link, so no popped bones when turning left. I am conducting an experiment and should actually test it out in the near future, of putting two o-rings in the diff cups to keep the bone in the the drive cup. Initial impression is that i will be bending some bones cause its a tight fit in there. Will let you know how it works out and good luck!

hmm, i just installed my RSC, and have eliminated the steering stop on the spindles. hopefully this doesn't become a problem. can always install a grub screw as an adjustable steering stop if that's the case though, i guess. it's a pity my spindles only have one hole (no adjusting), but i've seen people drill them. the single hole wouldn't be a problem with the turnbuckles were shorter/more adjustable... but i digress. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back