Dragin's Mid Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragin

Until I can get my hands on an FLM set up I opted to go the econo route. I have been examining Mega's mid tank mods and really liked the idea of just rearranging the original parts to improve on the design. I just couldn't get behind the idea of silicone to hold the tank in. I like being able to completely disassemble everything if need be and came up with this idea. I used 1/16" music wire to make a tie down for the tank. Less than $1 spent and no curing time, just had to get the bend points in the right place. That wire is amazingly stiff and took a few minutes to get the loops on the ends curled up. But considering the whole mod was done with a screw driver, needle nose pliers and a dremel I can't really complain lol

These pictures are of the first assembly, which is basically the prototype. Let me know what you guys think.

topviewvo3.jpg

leftsidecloseiu1.jpg

The hanger runs through the tank lid hinge and is secured on each side by the radio box mount screws. I will be adding washers after my hardware store trip.

rightsidebu7.jpg

Fuel lines are nice and secure tucked under the hanger.

rightsideclosefh4.jpg

Pig tail is accessible but will be getting some attention on the next go round.

rearmountdz2.jpg

I was able to use the stock box closure method to hold the back of the tank down. I left the tank mounting hole for a future mount that will be far more secure, just have to run to the hardware store.

lineroutingle0.jpg

Fuel lines are tucked neatly and securely under the wire tank holder.

fuelfilterml3.jpg

Fuel filter is safely out of the way.

humppackps4.jpg

Sadly for now the hump pack must sit outside. When I get a smaller reciever I will be able to cram it back in the box. I will feel safer then.

throttlelinkage1ig2.jpg

The throttle linkage is done a little different but there is no binding and it is very responsive.

throttlelinkage2ng3.jpg

To mount the servo I used the servo mount from an Evader. Had extras in my box and used them to mock it up. Gonna give them a day in court before I decide to swap them out or not.

The pictures could have been better but the wife was asleep and I was not going to wake her up to get a camera for savage pictures :stickspank: I learned my lesson lol

Nice Mod! Pictures aren't too bad and at least your not dead from waking the wife lol.
Wire idea is great too and I'm sure it will only get better after a trip to hardware store.
Thanks for sharing!

Pretty sweet man. That's what I love about this hobby. If you put your mind to it and take the time, you can do anything! That's a great "home made" midtank mod. :) Excellent man.

cool

looks real good for a econo build amazing what you can do with a little figeting lol i had to go the exspensive route :stickspank:

I got a chance to run it abit today. Once I can get the engine tuned back in I can say for sure. But from what I did see it seems A OK. It definitly made the truck more stable and balanced. That combined with the sway bar I was experimenting with and this truck feels completely different.

When I can get everything tuned in I will be able to give a better assessment on the 1/2 lean issue.

OK Jester I finally got a chance to fully evaluate the truck. 1/2 tank lean is a thing of the past!! Between this and the sway bar my truck feels COMPLETELY different. So far I have seen nothing but perks. I highly recommend this mod for the budget minded. Still pulls wheelies but no where near as bad as stock. For the most part, hit the gas and it just takes off like a shot. And with the added weight up front the front tires seem to bite down more in the turns so I can get the back wheels to break loose alittle and kick around. Jumps are more level also. I have to say I am very pleased with the improvement :10:

Members online

No members online now.
Back