Doobs Integy Rear Hub Carrier Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert
-
DOOB'S Review Pages
by: DOOBEEWHA

========================================================================= INSTALLING AND TESTING THE ======================================================================================
-----------------------------------------------------------------Part 1------ ========== INTEGY REAR ALLOY HUB CARRIER SET==========

------------------------------------------------------------------------------description:MFG:INT T6906SSILVER ALLOY Rear Hub carrier (2) for Savage-X

When I received the the Hub carriers in the mail the other day, I noticed that the looked great,...Like all of Integy's products.

Upon further inspection, they had me thinking that these parts might be able to stand up to the test of bash/race applications.

So... Testing and bashing is what I plan to do.

But first,..
Lets see what's in the bag and how easy they are to install.

Installation time will not include the time it takes to prep the truck. By this, I mean you need to clean the install area from dirt and grime thats likely on every truck that gets bashed.

This includes cleaning the bearings. Re-lube them prior the this install.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE PARTS AND THE TOOLS

OK.. Pic 1.
A list price of $26.99 U.S. These guys are sold in a plastic bag. There's some hardware thats included. I'll comment further on the hardware a bit later.

Pic 2.
A closer look.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0003.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0004.jpg

Pic 3.
And even closer.

Pic 4.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0005.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0006.jpg

Pic 5.
There's no question that Integy makes great looking parts. This alloy is of a stronger variety than your average alloy. 6160 comes to mind here, but there's no reference to Integy's specs. At least, none that I could find.

Pic 6.
This is the hardware that was include in my set. Later on, you will see that there could have been some other things included with this assortment.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0007.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0001.jpg

Pic 7.
Here are the tools I used to get this install underway. An old tooth brush and some rags for the dirty stuff is wise to have around, Nitro cleaner is great for cleaning the axle cups and bearings.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0009.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE INSTALLATION (TEAR DOWN)

Pic 8.
Here we see my existing rear hub and carrier.
What were going to to do is remove the rear carrier and get the axle and bearings.

Pic 9.
First, remove the two screws, top and bottom, from the hub. Then, unbolt and nut from the upper A-arm. I found that the easiest approach for the rest of the assembly was to pull the carrier pin from the hub.
This allows the entire assembly to fall away from the lower A-arm.

You can then un-bolt the tie-rod much more easily. Like I said in the intro,.. Clean the the parts that you take off. Also clean the A-arm ends. Flush the bearings and clean the axle with nitro cleaner. re lube bearings.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0011.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0012.jpg

Pic 10.
Another view.
A this point, you can remove the dog bone and tie-rod. This is one of the good things about this carrier set. The tie-rods are illuminated from the assembly.

Pic 11.
Not including the tie-rod parts, carrier and hub, here's what's taken off the truck...

You will be using the bearings, axle, dog bone, wheel hex w/pin, and upper A-arm bolt w/nut. Don't forget to clean the bearings and lube. The axle should be cleaned with nitro cleaner.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0013.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0014.jpg

pic 12.
This is what I would suggest you do with the spare carrier and hub. Clean and assemble for safe keeping. Two screws, One carrier pin w/E-clip.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0015.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE ASSEMBLY

Pic 13.
Ok... here's a dry run on the first part of assembly. Just seeing how it's going to come together.

Pic 14.
My camera can't get in tight enough to show this, but there's a 2mm or so gap in the pins play with the alloy hub. This is not desired from my point of view.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0017.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0016.jpg

Pic 15.
I feel that Integy should include washers for this issue. As shown, I needed to place washers on both ends of the hub's pin to reduce the gaps play. With both nuts fully tighten, the gap still remains un-closed.
I was lucky to have the washers I needed on hand. Note the tie-rod... This should be removed.

Pic 16.
Note the 1mm washer I had to come up with to eliminate the excessive play that was in the hub pin's assembly. I placed the washer towards the rear of the truck.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0018.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0019.jpg

Pic 17.
Here's a better view. Note that the washer is placed in the far right side, in between the hub and the A-arm gap. There's also washers placed on both ends of the pin. Not a single washer was included in the set.
In addition to the washer issue, I found it a real problem with the bearing not seating in the race. It's way too tight to fit. I had to pound it in gently and I suspect that it may be an issue down the road.

Rather than compromise this review,....
I elected to go ahead and make it fit. Not the smartest move I've ever made. It does seem to spin ok... Maybe slightly snug... Bummer.

Pic 18.
And the other side.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0020.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0023.jpg

Pic 19.
After getting the bearing to seat, I begin to install the hub assembly. Don't forget the dog bone.

Pic 20.
As you can see,... a lot less bulkier than the original setup.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0024.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0025.jpg

Pic 21.
Side view.

Pic 22.
The other side view

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0026.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0027.jpg

Pic 23.
Top view.

Pic 24.
For the finishing touch, a little black grease to hold and lube the axle's hex pin.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0028.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0030.jpg

Pic 25.
Wa La!!

Pic 26.
Here's the other hub on the opposite side looking fine... A finish shot. Note the hub's washer is placed towards the back of the truck.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0031.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0033.jpg

Pic 27.
The right side assembly process is identical to the first example.

A few more comments about the hardware... There should have been a longer replacement bolt for the upper A-arm.
This, rather than the stock bolt.

I wished that Integy would have included this minor cost in hardware to prevent a major problem on the truck.

As it is now... The bolt is tighter than it should be due to it's shortness.

This is causing some stiffness in the suspension until I replace the bolt myself. An obvious issue, I have to fix.

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0032.jpg

-

Last edited by a moderator:
ok...nice...you got a good set...I hadn't planned on commenting on mine, but since they are being reviewed, I am going to post my experience with these same parts...

of the set, one fit perfectly, and the other, the inner bearing race wasn't lined up with the outer bearing race, causing some serious binding with one of my axles...

I really didn't notice any slop in the pins as mentioned above...

-
Before and after.....

Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0010.jpg
Integy_Alloy_Hubs_0032.jpg

I've desided to run some PROLINE Rims and 30'series Road Rage Tires with a 17 mm hex kit from HPI. I took the advice of Mega and took the problem hub out and heated it up to 225 in the oven.
Since I have no need to remove it due to my desission to test the parts as they are, I wanted to simply heat the part so it could relax in the race were it was pressed in under mild force.

Here's some pics ofthe trucks new look... I will change over to off road abit later for testing. For now... I just want to get some HOT LAPS in and see how the bearing holds up.

17_mm_hexes_0005.jpg
17_mm_hexes_0007.jpg

17_mm_hexes_0006.jpg
17_mm_hexes_0004.jpg

17_mm_hexes_0003.jpg
17_mm_hexes_0002.jpg

I'm using the same ones. I kinda had the same problem when installing the bearings. They were snug but the bearings did spin freely. I also didn't have a problem with the gap issue on the lower a-arm. Mine fit almost perfectly, just a hair amount of play. I also believe that mine came with e-clip style hinge pins for the lower arms as compared to yours that came treaded. I'll have to double check on that one and update you on it. So far, mine have held up real well. How about yours?

ok...nice...you got a good set...I hadn't planned on commenting on mine, but since they are being reviewed, I am going to post my experience with these same parts...

of the set, one fit perfectly, and the other, the inner bearing race wasn't lined up with the outer bearing race, causing some serious binding with one of my axles...

I really didn't notice any slop in the pins as mentioned above...
Hey Komodo..
I to have a consern with the bearing fitting properly.
I truely hope there's no alignment issues.

That's something I didn't notice at this stage of the assembly.
I shouldn't have to force the bearing in the race.

Note in refference to Integy:
With the amount of time it took to do this review up to now, I will say this:
Integy might consider shipping me a immediate replacement before I complete this review.
Bringing this issue to light in text was the best thing I could do to get their attention.

I will give it a week before I test the parts, as they are.
By that time, Integy will have had a chance to send a replacement hub with a new
replacement bearing. That's my cost in it so far.

My consern here is that I may have damaged the bearing in the attempt of inserting it.
I don't want to possibly harm it trying to get it out. Needless to say, the bearing
should have fit propperly.

I think I'm doing my best in providing them a "heads up" so they'll have an opprotunity to fix this.
What do ya say,.. Integy?

I'm using the same ones. I kinda had the same problem when installing the bearings. They were snug but the bearings did spin freely. I also didn't have a problem with the gap issue on the lower a-arm. Mine fit almost perfectly, just a hair amount of play. I also believe that mine came with e-clip style hinge pins for the lower arms as compared to yours that came treaded. I'll have to double check on that one and update you on it. So far, mine have held up real well. How about yours?
Thanks xtrem.
I just recieved these for review. There's no drive time yet.
This is why I'm suggesting to Integy that they replace the wierd hub and my bearing first, before I submit Part 2 of this review. hopefully, they'll see the
opportunity here.

I had the same problem about 2 months ago when I bought a set. I had returned mine in person at Integy( I only live a few miles from them). And we talked about the problem. Ended up, they replaced them for me. But there is a lot of bad ones on the market that slid by them. I believe it was the first production run that has the flaw in them (only one side). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Thats good to know, Joe.
Thank you for bring it to my attention.
How do you like the set you have now?

Mine also have the e-clips, instead of the lock-nuts as pictured on yours...I haven't run mine yet either...

I received them, and put them on the shelf for awhile...by the time I assembled them, and noticed the problem, it was way too late to send them back for replacement...

also...and I could be wrong...I doubt Integy will ever see your review Doob...I don't believe they spend much time reading thru various online forums...

Thats a good point Komodo...
Thats why this is going to Hop.

Integy is one of our affiliates and they should take some notice if Hop can bring this to there attention.

The outcome here is really more of a consern to Integy, if you ask me.

I feel these parts have a strong chance of getting my vote of approval.
But reviewing factory defective parts is like shooting themselves in the foot.

Things like this happen to all of us and I'm simply giving them a chance to stand behind their product.
If hop doesn't get the attention in regards to this review, then so be it.

I will review these parts based on what I have in my hands.

To be honnest,.. I really want this review to be positive for all parties involved.

I love my MSR-6's for example.
How can I do this with the presant possible issues?

Rather than shaking dice,... If Integy simply sent a GOOD PART w/BEARING, it would
be the likely difference of night and day.

If the part holds up durring testing, How could that be a bad thing?

Either way,... It's really up to them.

When I get mine I will also do a reveiw and if this happens more than once Integy should be taking notes. I have seen/heard that the carrier pins bend like butter, I plan on using my stock carrier pins.

Thats something to consider, FX.
I'm going to hold off on the speculative conserns for now...
I guess the balls in Integy's court. Thinking of how snug that bearing is makes me want to take it out before its damaged.

Take it out examine it and see if you can spot any flaws. Then take pics and show us.

The thing is... The bearing is in there tight enough to make it a chalenge to remove.
Its alot easier putting it in than taking it out.
Removal will increase to chance of damaging the parts shape.

I had the same problem about 2 months ago when I bought a set. I had returned mine in person at Integy( I only live a few miles from them). And we talked about the problem. Ended up, they replaced them for me. But there is a lot of bad ones on the market that slid by them. I believe it was the first production run that has the flaw in them (only one side). Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Giving it more thought about what your saying,...
If the problem was in the first production run, then how does Integy manage to send me a bad part today from their own stock of currently manufactured inventory?

Seems kinda odd that they couldn't have rechecked the tolerances on their known parts .
Their first prodution run Had to be some time ago. It Just doesn't sit well with me to think there doing anything about this.
That is, until the customer has to go though the drawn-out process of warranty return.

Lets hope this things hold up.

Thanks again, Joe

I hate dragging up the past with the issue I had with my axial 32...but I will anyway. I forwarded the link to my thread to the plant manager and the tech dealing with my engine, and I don't know if they read it or not but I got a new engine out of it and I sold it the same day I got it the mail. We as consumers have to hold them responsible for mistakes or we are too blame because we layed down and tapped out!!! :whipit:

I understand your position, Blazer X.
I will say that I need to keep this review on track with Integy's hub's and the testing review.
I do agree about holding the manufactures responsiible to thier products.

Lets see how this review turns out and well take it from there.
I've said what needed to be said and want to take all things in account when I sum up the score on these parts.
If this was a more costly investment, I probably would have had a different tone.

Doob's Review Pages
By: Doobeewha

======================================================= Installation And Testing Of The ==================================================================
========================================================= Integy Rear Alloy Hubs =====================================================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------part II

Welcome back... this is the second part of this review.

There's been a change in the tire arrangement. The PROLINE Road Rage 30's were out of balance when I attempted to run them yesterday. For reasons unrelated to the new hubs. I was able to
swap them out for my buds Ofna Pirates. This saved me the hassle of having to take off the 17 mm hexes I had just installed two days ago. Here's some Pics.

Rock_Crawler-Ofna_Pirates_010.jpg
Rock_Crawler-Ofna_Pirates_011.jpg

Rock_Crawler-Ofna_Pirates_013.jpg

As you can see,... These tires are fairly large in size and weight. They also have a deep inset hub. If a wheel carrier/hub can deal with these tires, then they'll deserve some credit for
their strength.

First test

After putting these hubs through their paces and getting as crazy as I could get, bashing around inside this residential neighborhood setting I was in, the hubs performed fine. No issues developed.

There was an exception of a broken shock shaft that I caused when I ran over my buds truck with his own tires.lol.... Sorry Savagecre... My bad. He took it well and knew it wasn't on purpose.

The truck was tested over high speed runs, launched over curb jumps, wheelies in the grass, and tight high speed turns that nearly flipped the truck. No issues.

Second test

Today,.. I thought that it was time to get some air...

I set up a ramp in the parking lot of my Job location. Just a 4x4 sheet of 1/4 inch plywood on 18 inch pitch. As I ran two tanks of fuel through the truck and had fun getting some real

air, the truck was 5 to 6 feet high above ground at 30 mph. I didn't want to get too nutz with the truck because for one, the tires and rims were on loan. And also, the parking lot is asphalt.

I was happy with fact that I was landing some decent jumps perfectly and keeping the impact on the shocks. Still,... No issues

Hopefully, before the season gets wet,... I want to bash in some more drive time and supplement this review with an UPDATE of a "what's it doing now" report.

Until then... The INTEGY ALLOY HUBS get past the performance portion of the scoring system with a prefect "10" on a scale of 1 to 10.

====================================================================== THE SCORE ==========================================================================

Here's the scoring system I'm going to rate these parts on: On a scale of one to ten,... with ten being excellent, I will average the other considerations with the same grading system.
-------------------------------
70 POINT GRADING SYSTEM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(70)= EXCELLENT (60)= VERY GOOD (50)= GOOD (40)= FAIR (30)= NOT WORTHY (20)= SEND THEM A BAG OF BURNING **** (10)= SEND THEM TWO BAGS OF BURNING **** ON DIFFERENT DAYS
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. PERFORMANCE: (10) Reason; The parts perform up to the expectations of a well designed part and are holding up well up to this point, they have no issues.

2. QUALITY OF MATERIALS: (8) Reason; There is no reference to the materials that Integy uses for these parts. So... they get the guess of my own assumption. I fig,... 6160 or slightly higher in alloy grade

3. DESIGN QUALITY: (8) Reason: I thing the parts are good , but could have been a lot stronger if the part was wider at the pin holes, illuminating the need for spacers all together.

4. EASE OF INSTALLATION: (10) Reason; Piece of cake. Any savage owner that finds it hard to install these hubs needs to get a TONKA truck.

5. QUALITY OF INSTRUCTIONS: (0) reason: Not to be confused with EASE OF INSTALLATION, Instructions were nonexistent. If Integy would have slipped in a little note stating to heat the
hub to 225 degrees and freeze the bearing before insertion, I would have given them an (8).

6. NEED OF ADDITIONAL HARDWARE: (5) reason; Integy should have included two additional upper A-arm bolts that were longer than the original. Washers were needed for reasons that I've already stated.
We will pay the extra .25 cents, Integy. Give us the hardware we need to get the job done correctly.

7. COST: (9) Reason; This one was difficult to arrive at. Assuming that you get a good set, the cost is reasonable in a retail market.

70 being a perfect score...

THE TOTAL SCORE IS: 50

INTEGY narrowly escapes a "FAIR" rating with an overall score of 50... That gives them a grade of "GOOD" for this test score.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PASSED
================================================================THIS CONCLUDES THE INTEGY HUB REVIEW ================================================================
-

ok doob what about turning does the truck have a better turning radius

good review bud .. PROOPS + rep to you my friend

ok doob what about turning does the truck have a better turning radius

good review bud .. PROOPS + rep to you my friend

Wow... Thanks bro. Much apprecieated.
as far as the turnning radius, It bares no effect due to the fact that I've only got one set of the rear hubs installed. The fronts are still stock.

The purpose behind these hubs is to remove the slop that the stock carrier and hub create. You also get the benifit of having the tie-rods removed.
No change in turnning radius that I know of.

Wow... Thanks bro. Much apprecieated.
as far as the turnning radius, It bares no effect due to the fact that I've only got one set of the rear hubs installed. The fronts are still stock.

The purpose behind these hubs is to remove the slop that the stock carrier and hub create. You also get the benifit of having the tie-rods removed.
No change in turnning radius that I know of.

damn I feel stupid ...... can you put them on the front. we need to get this rep thing sorted out Iam thinking bud

That was a fantastic review. I love the format you came up with.

I had the same question as SJ, If you had front ones would that improve turn radious?

great job doobeewha.

That was a fantastic review. I love the format you came up with.

I had the same question as SJ, If you had front ones would that improve turn radious?

great job doobeewha.
Thank you crash.
From what I understand, Mega willl be reviewing the front alloy hub and carrier set. He would be able to say whats up with the turning radius.

OH YEA... Take a bearing with you to the LHS so you can check to see if the bearing's going to fit. JUST MY TWO CENTS, BRO.

thanks..... but they did not have them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back