Doing my Homework for Twin Mamba Monster flux.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1A1H

Ok, ive got my new shoppinglist for my new carbon racer savage thanks to all the recent carbon influences... :bible:

But i do not want my DB-17 chassis to go to waste as i really like the stability it gives.....

So why not go a little crazy... and make it REALLLLLY FASSST :bolt:

I have seen a few twin motor maxxs and revos and custom stuff... But not a savage yet...

I don't feel much would need to be done apart from finding a new twin motor mount (similar to the e savage, i guess) and then just moving around a few servos and adding battery boxes to the side... Oh and obviously the 2 motors and 2 Escs... I would do one huge motor, but i like this idea better

There is going to be a bit of custom work done but should be fun...

I don't know much about twin mounts that were used on the E-savage but can they house the neu 1515 2200kv motor???? I would get two of them and run them each on 6s...

Now... apart from sourcing an appropriate motor mount what other potential problems do you think i could run into for ex... tranny probs?????

Some of you may think this is a stupid project but its not going to be my main savage... i just want to push the savage and see how far it could go :)

THANKS!

I don't know much about twin mounts that were used on the E-savage but can they house the neu 1515 2200kv motor???? I would get two of them and run them each on 6s...
!

you need to contact dan at kershaw designs. if he doesnt have a mount that will accomplish this, he will custom make you one.

i callf or self destructing truck and or c4 bomb going off lol

Just got this response from dan

"If I'm not mistaken, the stock E-Savage motor mount will work. The only question will be if the 2 larger diameter motors will interfere with each other, the chassis or the radio box."

Just put the possible gearing i would run through a calc and got these results

Look at this gearing chart below... This is more than enough with two motors...

Differential Ratio: 3.2222222222222223 - Bullet proof diffs
Transmission Ratio: 1.5366847826086956 - Using high speed 39t idler
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 44
Pinion Tooth Count: 25 - May lower accordingly
Total Voltage: 25.2 - This is rated at 4.2v per cell when fully charged.
Motor KV: 2200
Tire Diameter (inches): 5.5
Tire Ballooning (inches): 0.5
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 1.76 : 1
Total Ratio: 8.71471 : 1
Tire Cir***ference (inches): 20.42 inches (518.68 mm)
Rollout: 2.34:1
Total Motor Speed: 55440 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 123.02 mph (197.61 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 2200

Obviously this speed wouldnt really be attainable but considering... my man on here js is hitting 80mph with a single motor running this same gearing, I'm sure twin 2200 could hit more And also run cool instead of getting hot after a few runs... correct..??

I think the first step would be to just buy the mount and see if fitting it on my tvps works... I was looking at this

MotorMounts-Savage700.jpg

I hate the idea of mounting the motors high in the chassis, but if it works on the e savage.. .hopefully it should work for me

i think there could be a concern with two brush less motors sitting that close with the powerful magnetic fields there could be a possibility of interference.

thanks for bringing that to my attention dan!

I have had to change mounting strategies... i Will question dan regarding the interference.... Nice1

here are some pics i sent to dan, so he can get an idea of what needs to be done for the custom mount... I also asked him about possible interference.

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

I want to see some 1/5 Scale Savage w/ Dual motors going up against Bajas. Keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot everyone... I'm putting this on hold temporarily.
My first job is to get the most out of my current 1520 motor.
I have purchased an HV ice 160 ESC which should handle 50V and 160amps. This will enable me to run 8s just for on road speed runs. I will run 6s most of the time. Should be interesting to see the outcome.

I'm coming for you js :)

Actually it's nice to have some competition......maybe I'll get off my lazy :homer: and get my truck back together for some more runs. Not sure if I can hang with 8S though. That's gonna be interesting to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
def get it back together... haven't see any new vids in a while...
I a few guys were telling my i could run 10s for a couple of runs at a time... But i don't want to blow anything.

Just got an email today saying the HV ICE ESC is out of stock ...

Nice1 frddy, thanks for looking out... I'm not going to be running more than 8s anyway. Completely overkill, and i do not want to stress the motor furthur than 8s.

On 8s my 1520 will be rotating at 53000rpm which is below the recommended 60,000rpm max. On 6s it will at 33000rpm, so 6s shouldnt stress the motor as long as the gearing is correct.

Ill look into that ESC... looks pretty decent with that fan. I was looking at constructing an appropriate computer fan for the HV... at least this will not be a problem now.

I would + Rep but it says i have to spread some more for some reason...

need a little advice and confirmation...
As you know iam going to try an 8s configuration... to keep things balanced, in the truck,
I am going to buy 2x2s and one 4s LiPo. And place the 4s in the centre of the chassis and the 2x2s either side in battery boxes by kershaw.... I will be using bullets and was wondering if it is ok to connect them this way...

diagrambatts.jpg

Thanks

does twin motors accually make it go faster? or does it just spread the load between the 2 with no real gain in speed? and how do you get the second motor to run in reverse cause if you have one motor spinning clockwise wouldn't you want the other motor on the otherside to spin counter clockwise? otherwise you would shred your SG and other stuff? just curious is all. thanks

Actually shark it wouldnt make it go any faster, but running two motors and having the weight shared allows me to gear higher without causing extra strain on the esc and motor.

I don't think i am going to attempt this just yet as i still want to try my current motor on a 9s, but i cant even consider that just yet as my tranny and pinion gears don't seem to be able to last more than 5-10 runs without something going wrong!

Who makes the strongest pinion gears???

so faster in a way that it lets you gear more for speed then you could with just one motor, got it i might try that some day.

well iv heard good things about robinson racing.

frddy.. I'm not going twin motor anymore... I'm going to keep it conservative and just push my current 1520 motor as hard as possible on 9s and 10s with the ice hv esc.

I have some ideas of combining LST2 hubs and widening the track without having to use extensions and putting extra stress on bearings... should be something a little different to the usual. ill put my RSC on my basher savage or future carbon savage build

Twin motors allow it to go faster only because you can gear it higher without stressing the motors as much. I run twin Titan 775 Brushed motors in my E-Maxx and was able to bring the pinion up from 17t to 25t thanks to the reduced load.

wow that's great.well while were on this subject.i have a flux with a mamba monster 2 motor and esc
the stock motor mounts don't fit the motor wont line up with the spur.i called castel creations
they said I need a universal motor mount as the stock mounts only fit the hpi motor.so I bought
the integty motor mount it has a idler gear how will my pinion work with this.dose my pinion
mesh with the idler gear then the idler to the spur.anyone ever use this mount any mods I have
to do to get this to work

Latest posts

Members online

Back