does a clutch need broken in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Sims

i just got my new savage x ss and its a great truck! i ran 4 break in tanks through it and started to tune it for performance. but when i try to give it full throttle in grass or going up hill my clutch does not engage and it sits there and revs until i back off throttle and get back on it. if i pick it up off the ground and give it full throttle, the clutch dis engages and the fly wheel and engine rev. i thought it may be the slipper or the fly wheel not tight enough but i don't think that's it.

Are you sure you have the shoe's on in the correct direction? Something isn't correct. The clutch doesnt really need time to brake in.

Welcome by the way, I see your on post 1.

When its off the ground and you give it gas do the wheels spin?
Did you check the spur gear to make sure its not stripped?

Good one Kieth.

You may be better getting alu shoes and something like mugen 1.0MM springs, this will support the power of the 4.6 better.

I have no idea why it would slip though.

Also check the flywheel. One of the pins broke on mine and it wasnt readily visible but it was keeping the clutch from engaging properly. I didnt find it till I took the shoes off. Fortunately HPI is sending me a new flywheel and shoes.

Do you have the nut that holds the Flywheel tight tight and is it compressing the collet behind the flywheel. In otherwords is the flywheel slipping on the crank shaft.

yes the wheels spin and the spur gear is not stripped. the slipper is tightened all the way down then backed off half a turn.

yes the fly is pretty tight but just how tight should it be or how close is it to the block? i can see the fly turning, but now i have another problem, i cant get the clutch bell to come off. i think i got some thread lock on the spacer.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes the wheels spin and the spur gear is not stripped. the slipper is tightened all the way down then backed off half a turn.

Tighten it all the way down for testing purposes. Take it out of the equation.

(And I leave mine only 1/8 backed off.)

Can you hold the block and just pull the CB off?
Gently use a screwdriver to just wiggle the CB loose if necessary

Is the CB turning if so and the slipper tight and still doing. My guess is thet you have a grub screw missing from one of the drive cups more than likely one of the center ones attached to the transmission. These need lots of loctite, otherwise it could be something wrong with the transmission (grub screw missing or one of the sintrifical (Spelling) clutches arent engaging).

Can you hold the block and just pull the CB off?
Gently use a screwdriver to just wiggle the CB loose if necessary

Just a question if you haven't had the CB off since the first post how do you know the shoes are on correctly? Not to try to be a smart a$$!

There is no way to turn the engine over other than by the flywheel and the pull/rolo start.

yes they are both tight. i spun my spur gear clockwise it spins freely and counter clockwise the wheels move.

you got me stumped. All I can think of is that friction is making everthing turn and one of the 4 grubs on the center drive shafts or the trans is shot, another one to check is that the little pin that holds the slipper from turning on the shaft is in place. Like I said if there is friction there which there would be it everything would turn if it isn't being held back by much.

What about the rear diff being shot??

i don't think so its a brand new truck

Just wanna backtrack a second. When you give it gas the truck doesnt move? Do you see the spur gear spinning?

no it does not spin. when I'm in the grass and try to move it sits and revs and i also held the rear bumper and gave it gas and the spur didnt move but the fly was spinning

If the flywheel is spinning but the spur isnt then the clutch must not be engaging. You are going to have to take the clutch bell off and check the shoes and springs.

Do you have a reverse module installed?

Latest posts

Members online

Back