Divey's Mid Tank + More Mods On A XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divey1130

Well, I'm going to start this thread for my mid tank mod and the other mods I plan on doing. I figured I'd keep it all on one thread to minimize the clutter. Still waiting for most of my parts. I did receive my hitech 645mg servo for the throttle/brake and my bulletproof diffs for front and rear. I plan on doing the mid tank mod with the Ofna tank, the ofna throttle/brake relocate mod, and a skid plate mod. I have already shaved the hubs for steering and wow does it make a difference and the trimming of the servo saver on the throttle/brake servo and that made a huge difference with the braking. So to begin my journey I started the skid plate using 2mm flat sheet alum. I did have 4mm but it looked to big for the job and the 2mm will do just fine.

Skid Plate Mod:
I started out by cutting a piece at 3 3/8 wide by 12" long. Measured the distance to the bend then slightly scored the backside to get a perfect straight bend. Man let me tell ya, it is a pain in the butt to cut it using a dremel but it worked out. Then I put a slight bend into it and test fitted it. Then I beveled the ends to match up with the existing plastic skid plate. Cut to length on both ends and used a file to smooth out the edges. There is one slight spot right under the tranny where it touches so I will cut some kind of design out for that clearance and also to give it some definition. Here are a couple a pics so far. Tomorrow I will cut the center out and try to get it to some what of a polish look to it.
PIC_0024.jpg

PIC_0025.jpg

PIC_0026.jpg

divey i have never had a prob with the little bit of rub that the skid plate has with the tranny so you can leave it be if you like. i left mine solid so that it would not hang up on anything. here is a pic of the skid on my xl
nikiscamera017.jpg

Ya I see what your saying. I just maybe leaving it solid then and also it will save me some time. Looks good on yours tho. Terry

Since I have this going could anyone give me a ball park of what gearing I should be at. I will be running the big joes and most likely always running the mt tires and also looking for low end torque. I'm not looking to do any speed runs at all and I want it fast off the line wheeling like crazy. Also is the cen pipe a good setup for the 5.9 or should I try something else. Again looking for low end. Thanks Terry

Well finally got most of my parts but still waiting for a few. It's been a long week and a half trying to get this done but it's almost there. I'm going to try to give as much detail as I can for future reference for other members so sorry if this is long.
Ofna Mid Tank Mod Parts:Ofna Fuel Tank 1/7 Scale OFN19504
Ofna 250cc Fuel Tank Mounts 87504
FLM Servo Mounts FLM46000
FLM Servo Plate FLM45500
RPM Receiver Box 80052
HPI Nitro Rush Bumper Set A349
HPI Shock Parts/ Rod End Set 85050
Robitronic Alum Servo Arm R17003
Ofna Linkage Sliders OFN10704
Ofna Linkage Kit OFN10724
Ofna Alum Servo Arm OFN 10733

The very first thing I had to do was make a platform out of pvc to work off of.
DSC_0093.jpg

Now it's time for the build. I first started by mounting the servo plate.
DSC_0113-1.jpg

DSC_0114-1.jpg

Then I had to fugure a way out to mount the tank using the mounts made for that tank. This was the tricky part because the tank mounts were on the very front and back and when fitted on the plate it extended past any point to mount it. I used some 2mm alum and make some extensions to be able to mount the mounting post. I then bolted it down in existing holes in the servo plate. As you can see I had to notch the rear plate to fit in between the shock tower.
DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

Then fitted the tank on the mounts and what a perfect fit it was.
DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I had to figure a way out to mount the steering servo. I tried various locations for it and ended up making a plate (2mm alum) for it so I could mount the servo mounts to. While I had this apart I put in bearings in place of the plastic bushing in the steering post. I then mounted the servo and tried to hook up the steering but noticed that the servo arm was to short. I was unaware of this so a trip to the hobby shop and picked up one. (This one was the only longest one they had) Then the darn link from the arm to the steering post was to short and I noticed that there was a lot a flex in it. So I used some shock rod ends and cut a long screw in half and whola, I had a stronger adjustable link. This setup worked great and I’m very happy with it. Here are some pictures of this.
DSC_0106-1.jpg

DSC_0104-1.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0109-1.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

Now time to relocate the throttle/brake servo. Again I made a plate and mounted the servo mounts with the servo. I was initially only going to make a plate for half of the way but then decided to go all the way just because the tvp was cut down on this side for the stock fuel tank. I left the whole piece more for protection and I liked the way it looked. I’m still waiting for the linkage and alum servo arm so that will be installed later. Here are a couple pictures.
DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

Now time for the battery box and receiver box. Pretty easy on these. Drilled a hole in the center of both boxes and shock towers and mounted the boxes. The only thing I did not like was the battery box. The battery fit but it is a very tight fit. Barely had enough room to mount the on/off switch and the excess wire. Here are a couple pictures.
DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

I still have some finishing up to do so I will post the final product when finished. Here are a couple things I added while doing the mod: Wheelie Bar
Big Joe’s mounted on Axial 8 Spoke
All new bearings entire truck
Hex screws entire truck
17mm hex hubs
Skid plate (waiting for FLM mounts)
Lowered shocks ¾” for stability plus 30wt front/rear
14 tooth CB for larger wheels
Bulletproof diffs front/rear with 30,000wt
FLM Motor mount
Here are some pictures of them.
DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

This is what my work area looks like after a couple days.
DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

I still need to finish but I would like to hear any comments/suggestions/changes or anything on your minds about this. I take no offense to constructive criticism. Thanks for looking. Terry

Wow! VERY detailed build - great for other folks to be able to get the feel for what you did , especially since you added part numbers!

I have one question for you - any particular reason you added the steering servo on the other side of the TVP from the steering arm? Here is where I mounted mine (ignore the throttle servo there - I moved it to the back but wanted to bash while waiting for parts LOL)
steering_conversion4.jpg
I would imagine it would lose some of its throw on the angle you have yours... but I am NOT an expert by any means!

Bob

^^Hahah, now this is why I wanted people to comment. I have no idea and now that I see yours I should have done the same thing. No wonder why the servo arm was to short. It does get full swing now with the longer arm. I may have to change this but if it works when all together I might leave it just because I will be getting the flm lcg tvp's soon and then I will be able to make the change. Nice catch there. Thanks

I also noticed you packed the switch into the battery box - I was planning on trying to put that into my receiver box (I am using a Traxxas #4924) - just an idea - I don't know where you plan to install it though.

Here's the one I did - hope it helps and let me know if you see anything too! (I really like your idea to use the shock ends BTW! - I bought threaded rod and ends, but never though of your idea - DOH!)

I'm not sure why I put it there. I guess when I was installing the battery and box I had the switch right there and decided to put it in. But putting on the reciever box would of fit better. I might try a different battery box later because of the tight fit si when that time comes I'll move it. I would move it now but then I would have a hole in the box. Another good catch. Thanks man I should of called you first before i did this. And I read yours and others over and over to come up with my own. This is my first nitro vehicle and first time modding but thanks for the help. It does make sense tho. Terry

Very nice Terry..Alot of details and pics..+1..Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished pics..:peace:

great write up on your mid tank build and as was already mentioned even with the part numbers added great job should help alot of people thinking of doing it,"myself included lol" repped ya

Great job on the mid tank and other mods on your xl Divey.:10:

Well I got the diffs all together and the suspension figured out so I have to finish wiring it and put the throttle/brake linkage together. I should have it done by friday and I can't wait. Terry

Well I got the throttle/brake linkage together which took some thinking. What a pain in the butt that was to figure out. Apart then take apart and over and over until I got this. I am still waiting for the skid plate mounts and the alum servo arm for the t/b servo. Other than running the wires and fabbing a plate for the motor guard it should be done. Probaly by tomorrow I should be able to get it going and post a vid. Suggestions or comments and the linkage is welcome. Thanks for looking. Terry
DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Nice job on the linkage set up Terry..:10: Where did you get the blue thing to protect the top of the head on your mill? Never seen one of those before..:peace:

It's a RPM head protector. I had it laying around so I decided to give it a try. Terry

No problem man , I take that as a compliment. Update, ran all wires and finished the litlle odds and ends. Also received my skid plate mounts from SMF Store so I will install my skid plate. All I have to do know is make a extension for the motor guard and it's ready to bash. I was able to take it out to try to tune it but was having a hard time. The darn thing was loosing a tune constantly. This motor is a real pain in the but to adjust but it's getting there. Terry

Edit: I put a new 14T CB on to try to make up for some loss because of the bigger tires but I never could get this to wheelie. Should I just put the stock 16T back on or leave this one on. Also do you normally start leaning the LSN or richen it? Thanks

Well finally got my mounts for the skid plate and my alum servo arm for the t/b servo. I am all done now. What a fun project it was. I think for christmas I will be getting the FLM tvp's and a couple other little things. The only thing left that I would want is a 2.4 radio and a new motor. But with my wife not working the motor will have to come in time. I will run the 5.9 til it blows. Here are the rest of the pictures finished. Thanks everyone for the compliments and advice. I will be changing a couple things with my new tvp's when I get them. Terry

1.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

kinda reminds me of Alex's mid tank except his battery box is in the front and his RX box is behind the motor

What kind of fuel are you running?

Blue Thunder Sport 20%. I have about a half of quart left and already ordered Byrons 30% Gen 2 Race Formula. I have had no issues with Blue Thunder as most people have but then again this is my first nitro and only fuel I have ever used. The weird thing is that the Blue Thunder is more expensive than the Byrons and most people like the Byrons. I really can't compare but to me whatever worked without problems, why waste it. It came free with the truck when I bought it. Terry

Blue Thunder Sport 20%. I have about a half of quart left and already ordered Byrons 30% Gen 2 Race Formula. I have had no issues with Blue Thunder as most people have but then again this is my first nitro and only fuel I have ever used. The weird thing is that the Blue Thunder is more expensive than the Byrons and most people like the Byrons. I really can't compare but to me whatever worked without problems, why waste it. It came free with the truck when I bought it. Terry

lol divey once you put the byrons in the truck you will see why we all like byrons so much. go ahead and switch before you run out of blue thunder you will thank yourself

SavyScott
Man Terry your build came out sweet!!!

Thanks alot man I really appreciate it. Terry

mickey
lol divey once you put the byrons in the truck you will see why we all like byrons so much. go ahead and switch before you run out of blue thunder you will thank yourself

I can't wait to try it out. Should be here in a couple days and yes I will save some to see the difference. Terry

Update: Finally turned the fuel tank around so the fuel pick up is in the rear. Easy to do, just re-drilled to new holes for the hellfire mounts and reassemble. Finished my throttle/brake linkages. Put an JP-4 pipe on using a piece of hanger. Installed a DX3.0 2.4 radio and finally got rid of the long antenna. I truely love this system. Now I can set all my EPA (end point adjustments) for the servos to save the life in them. Installed new dynamite alum shoes with mugen 1.0mm springs and a mugen nut. Installed a new con rod (stcok one had some slop in it) and sealed the back plate and carb all up and used green slime for the needles. And now I think that's it. Thanks for looking. Terry

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0251-2.jpg

DSC_0249-1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back