Dissapointed in Savage / nitro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumjum01

Hi guys

I am new to nitro but not rc cars. Bought this new savage xl gtxl-6 and did run-in by manual but motor lost compression after 6 tanks. So I bought a LRP .32 spec 4 motor and did run-in by manual (8 tanks) and 4 tanks tuned for performance. While acceleration is decent and top speed is 72 km/h, this truck will not pop a wheelie. Comparing to electric traxxases I used to run this car is boring. LRP claims 4.37 hp and "torque you can bearly handle" and it cant lift the front wheels. The stock engine could not either. Am I expecting to much of nitro??
Since 16% nitro is all we can buy in europe - this is what I run.
Also it will not change to 3 gear under full throttle. No problem on partial throttle

Regards Kristian from Denmark

The XXL is made to help stop the truck from doing constant wheelies, it is wider and quite a bit longer, as for shifting the 3 speed it sounds as if it may need a slight adjustment to either the engine or the adjustment inside the case, good luck with it and keep plugging at it and it will fall into place...

I have a Savage X with offset wheels for a wider stance and it will try to backflip if traction is high with the Axial .32 I have in it....

This brings the old question to the table: what's better? Nitro or Brushless... If you like the noise and smell, tuning the engine and feel a little bit more connected to the car, go with nitro, but if you want raw power and to be on the tip of your toes while driving, then go with brushless

Don't look at nitro through electric coloured glasses! ;)

Both my nitro savage X and XL will pull wheelies. Clutch, and tune are important. There will never be as much torque as with a 6s electric but nitro is a different experience.

It may be starting out in 2nd gear not allowing it to wheelie. All my trucks wheelie on command and even in second gear. I have one of my xl’s with a picco .28 and that thing will damn well near flip itself backwards

The engine manufacturer promises on HP levels are same as battery pack manufacturer promises on C-rates- Total nonsense. That LRP will put of 1.8HP at ONE SPECIFIC RPM level. So everywhere else it will put out less than that. Same as with 1:1 combustion cars. Also the clutch in these engines are not very efficient until they are fully "locked". If you hate the feel of combustion engines overall, then there is not much to be done. You can't beat the modern electrics in power anymore if that something you were looking for.

To me the electric rc cars feels a bit like playing games (they don't feel real). I hate the speed control mode with electrics. I would like to have them torque controlled like combustion engines are. That gives better control. Especially on the track.

I have both electric and nitro and they both are good at some things. But they are not the same.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back