Dilemma with body/wing options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticconi

I originally wanted a proline crowd pleazer for a revo 3.3 for my savage and i was going to put a wing on it. But the more I looked into putting a wing on it, the more I realized I really don't have the tools to drill thru my aluminum shock towers. I'm wondering if anyone has a template for the mugen mounts (or others) or any ideas on how i could mount it. the dppracing mount is for the stock x towers so it won't fit. my only other options is to just get a truck body which i don't really want to do but might have to if i can't come up with a solution. HELP!!

You don't need Hi dollar bits for the towers any 3 buck bit will work in aluminum. Put a lil' thought into in. Measure twice and cut once and leave the kit days behind... It took me 10mins of thought to come up with my idea on the wing/shock mount and 30-40 mins to make it with simple tools.

ok i'm going to get a proline wing mugen wing mount and stays seeing how i just payed for my crowd pleazer body to be painted so their's no turning back now!! Is that a revo wing and mount you have? Do you have any pics of your setup? Nice too by the way i don't think i have ever seen yours before

ok i'm going to get a proline wing mugen wing mount and stays seeing how i just payed for my crowd pleazer body to be painted so their's no turning back now!! Is that a revo wing and mount you have? Do you have any pics of your setup? Nice too by the way i don't think i have ever seen yours before
yep its in this forum ill link you to it. ill edit it in in a min or two... ok this is the link to the wing / lst mount I made https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6506

thanks bankrupter. that's not gonna work for me as i don't have those big old tools but i have an idea what I'm gonna do. thanks again!

thanks bankrupter. that's not gonna work for me as i don't have those big old tools but i have an idea what I'm gonna do. thanks again!
lol do you have a dremel? Thats all you need.. I used the zip for more speed but thats not what you need here anyways. Can you make two plates and sandwich the tower with them and bolts? You mount the wing mount to one plate and the other goes on the motor side of the tower then it will clamp on. I have no idea what you have and can do so just tossing out ideas here.... Ill get you pics to another one I did but not tonight by this weekend at the latest... get me pics of your towers and the wing mount and Ill come up with a fix for ya that will be easy and not drill the tower itself.

here is a shot of my towers
rc022.jpg

and you can kind of see them in this one too.
rc031-1.jpg

i have a dremel with a diamond cutting wheel but i really doubt it will cut thru thick aluminum like that. unless you think different. i figured out a way using an old engine brace from another site. thanks for your help

Aluminum is easy to work with, your diamond blade will cut it, ive cut it with a circular saw before... just don't let your diamond blade get to hot and it will be fine, it also depends on what type of aluminum your cutting also some series of aluminums are really gummy like 6061... other aluminums are not as gummy like 7075, the temper of the aluminum also plays a role, 6061-O is really soft, compared to 6061-T6....

one way to prevent the dremel bits from loading up with the aluminum is to spray them really well with good old WD-40 before cutting with them, and reapply often while using them...

How do you stop?

here is a shot of my towers http://i289
.photobucket.com/albums/ll211/sticconi/rc022.jpg

and you can kind of see them in this one too.
rc031-1.jpg

i have a dremel with a diamond cutting wheel but i really doubt it will cut thru thick aluminum like that. unless you think different. i figured out a way using an old engine brace from another site. thanks for your help

There is a co. that makes a back plate so that you can install a wing mount. I can't think of that name off hand. You don't need to to cut anything. Hang on and see if someone has that link. Ask Mega aka John he might remember who it is.

Latest posts

Members online

Back