Diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage89

I shattered my diff gears twice in the past week what would be the best possible solution?

hey there ... how are they getting chewd? is it the pinion gear that rubs the outer ring gear? or is it actualy the inner bevel gears? and what set up are they? 2 gear or the newer 4 gear set up..witch is actualy 6 gears lol.. ..are the bearings still nice and tight? might need shimmed...i can help you but need a lil more info on what truck it is ... do you jump it and land with wot .. is it the front going out or the back? ect ect.... let me know ...tc good luck happy bashn..

hey there ... how are they getting chewd? is it the pinion gear that rubs the outer ring gear? or is it actualy the inner bevel gears? and what set up are they? 2 gear or the newer 4 gear set up..witch is actualy 6 gears lol.. ..are the bearings still nice and tight? might need shimmed...i can help you but need a lil more info on what truck it is ... do you jump it and land with wot .. is it the front going out or the back? ect ect.... let me know ...tc good luck happy bashn..

I have a savage 25 The bevel gears are shattering in the rear I have the 4 gear set up that I just put in and I ran for 5 minutes and it broke. The bearings are tight still and i run mostly on road i don't have many off road places to go to around me. If you could help me out that would be much appreciated I'm getting tired of taking it apart and putting back together lol

i hear ya on the tired of takeing apart and putting it back together again .. gets old ..you said its the rear and you run on pavement ... bearings still good... what engine you running? some like the picco or lrp are power houses they eat diffs up.. but are you sure the bulk head and diff cups still in good condition? are the gears fitting together realy tight but smooth? any slop in them with a decent mill. will eat them up on pavement... you might need to shim the diffs to get a closer fit.
heres 1 of many how to shim your diff threads on here ..https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9865&highlight=shimming+diffs
I'm thinking its just got a lil slop in it or the housing itself is not perfect any more... good luck i hope this helps ... happy bashn...

can i upgrade to the X parts the way it comes apart to get to the diffs seems so much easier my screw holes are starting to strip out and you literaly have to take the entire rear of my truck off

i hear ya on the tired of takeing apart and putting it back together again .. gets old ..you said its the rear and you run on pavement ... bearings still good... what engine you running? some like the picco or lrp are power houses they eat diffs up.. but are you sure the bulk head and diff cups still in good condition? are the gears fitting together realy tight but smooth? any slop in them with a decent mill. will eat them up on pavement... you might need to shim the diffs to get a closer fit.
heres 1 of many how to shim your diff threads on here ..https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9865&highlight=shimming+diffs
I'm thinking its just got a lil slop in it or the housing itself is not perfect any more... good luck i hope this helps ... happy bashn...

I just bought a new diff cup because after the first time the stock plactic one was destroyed. I'm running an Axial .28 Spec 1s its a very powerful mill but ive heard that once you go to the .32 is when the diffs really become a problem.

the .28's have more power the anything bigger. and yes you can switch to the "x" bulkheads and anything thats on a savage will go on any savage. to me it sounds like the bulkheads are suffering from severe flex from the torque and that will eat any diff apart.

the .28's have more power the anything bigger. and yes you can switch to the "x" bulkheads and anything thats on a savage will go on any savage. to me it sounds like the bulkheads are suffering from severe flex from the torque and that will eat any diff apart.

Do you think aluminum bulks would work better? I bought a savage roller and it has aluminum bulkheads on it so if so i can swap them out. The other truck is pretty much gonna stay stock i think throw my stock S-25 in it so I don't think its gonna need anything special. But this beat is a ton of headaches lol i should have never changed it

just like eric stated .. all the savages are interchangable the x diffs and bulks are way easier to deal with.. matter of minutes to take a diff out . and the mill you got has good power but get the bulks switched out and your diffs shimmed you should be ok .. i run a lrp z28 spec 3 in mine and only ate 2 diffs up.. 1 was due to bearing going out.. the other was a wot slamming on the breaks dodging a kid and trying not to hit a wall so it ate the front diff up....good luck ...get x diffs and bulks youll be happy you did..

Hey I just got back from taking out my rear dif as well, haven't pulled it apart yet. Figure its about time, had it since 03 (.25 version) and never shimmed.

yep that's what I was thinking..lol. Had it since 03, alot of on and off times, thats probly why it lasted so long. And that's with the .25 motor, just imagine if I would have broken in the LRP. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back