Difficulty with engine temp/break-in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I took my 5.9 XL out this morning for its initial break-in. The temp outside was about 43*F and overcast. The first 1/2 tank was HPI 30% Nitro before switching to Byron's 30% Nitro. The mill would not idle worth a crap regardless of what I tweaked. If I idled it up a lot, I could keep it running until the temp went over 200*. It would then idle decently for a moment then surge and scream, sputter, drop back to idling smooth, repeat ad naseum. Think of a 2 or 3 cylinder engine that was having a cylinder dropping out. That is what is was running like.
I finally pulled the carb, removed every needle and lubed the o-rings, reset everything to factory and re-installed. Whatcha know? It fixed the idle problem and all seemed normal. However, one thing didn't improve. The high temps. Even at the factory settings, I never got above mid-throttle and the temps would climb to 340*+!!!!! I richened the high speed and low speed needles to the point it was 4-cycling and would hardly run. No help. The pinch in that engine is unbelievable compared to the 4.6 I broke-in last weekend. So I am sure that is contributing to the temps.
I don't know what to do now. I was afraid to begin tuning since leaning it is not going to make the temps any lower, but the performance as it is sucks. So, what say you experts? Ignore the temps and go by smoke and performance? If I tune regarding temps, I am going to have to add a freakin' wet crankcase and an oil cooler......or a radiator! :dunno:

I am using the factory plug right now. I ordered a couple of McCoy MC8, but they won't make it until Monday. I will look at some 20%. Actually, I asked RC Planet about their 30% recommendation in light of HPI's recommendation of 20% when I ordered the truck. They said go with the 30%....

The 5.9 runs around 300-310. 30% Nirto is for the beter engines or engines that have been modified. Running that in the 5.9 is a waste. I don't know why they would have recommended that to you. Try the 20% from factory settings it will make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRAP! I have 2 gallons of 30% and no friends that run nitros. I need some new friends. :D
I will get some 20% and try that. Thanks a ton for the help.

i find when i run 30% i get a maybe 10 degress hotter max but rember i am runing a picco so it will not affect it used to run a hpi 25 on 30 and i blew that motor upp had to run a bit lean to get any power but my 4.6 liked 30 and my buddies 5.9 hated 30%till it dies maybe a 1/2 gallon

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it appears as if the consensus is to go with 20% in the 5.9. Any suggestions on the plug? Since it is going to be cold here for a while, I was thinking that going with the McCoy MC8 would be the right choice for both my 5.9 and my son's 4.6. I am now beginning to second-guess my decision.
Obviously, the hotter plug is not going to last as long at the higher temps my 5.9 is running. My main concern is engine longevity though, not that of the glow plug.

Stick with the 30% engines run cooler with higher nitro, use a MC 59 for break-in, the temps will come down after most of the pinch is worn away, just be patient.

The 5.9 runs around 300-310. 30% Nirto is for the beter engines or engines that have been modified. Running that in the 5.9 is a waste. I don't know why they would have recommended that to you. Try the 20% from factory settings it will make a difference.

Stick with the 30% engines run cooler with higher nitro, use a MC 59 for break-in, the temps will come down after most of the pinch is worn away, just be patient.

I would agree if it was any other engine other than the 5.9.

OK, which is the safer way to go here? And, if anyone else chimes in, please don't give me a third alternative. I currently have a 50% chance of doing the right thing. :lmao4:

My Hpi Experience

I purchased a Savage XL from towerhobbies on 09/26/2010 and received it on 10/1/2010 and due to the rain and my free time i attempted the break in on 10/7/2010. I ran the truck off it's wheels as per the instructions and it was not taking the normal amount of fuel it would take for break in. It also ran very hot as well. I called HPI the next day and advised me to check my settings and use a temp gun. I bought a temp gun on 10/8/2010 and attempted to run the truck. I could not keep the temps under 250 if my life depended on it. After columbus day on 10/13/2010 i shipped out the engine to california and they got it on the 20th. I called on 11/1/2010 and said that they did'nt get to it yet and we're about to. I got a call on 11/3/2010 and they said that the carb was missing an o ring causing it to run lean and that the carb was getting stuck open. They also said that they looked at the internals and said they we're fine as well. They buttoned it up and sent it back to me and i received it on 11/10/2010. I'm not complaining what so ever about the repair having to be done but to see if this problem has occured in the past to other savage owners? Due to my free time and weather I have not broken it in yet but I will shortly and if I ever have a piece of wisdom to tell new savage owners is to purchase a temp gun if you do not have one yet.
I think it's quite possible you might of had my problem.

I broke mine in with 30% and a mc8 med temp. Tan like crap used my roto start batt up keeping it running for the first two tanks after that I started tuning it to the smoke and ignored the temps, lhs put a final tune on it on the fourth tank. Get past the pinch make sure your burning oil and floor it!

............ and they said that the carb was missing an o ring causing it to run lean and that the carb was getting stuck open........ is to purchase a temp gun if you do not have one yet.
I think it's quite possible you might of had my problem.

I did have to pull the carb and lube the o-rings to get it to idle right. I did however, make sure all of the o-rings were present though. As I said, I didn't get to run it but a few minutes after the carb work, so it may just be the pinch that is causing the heating at the moment. I plan to take it out again Saturday and see how it goes.

I broke mine in with 30% and a mc8 med temp. Tan like crap used my roto start batt up keeping it running for the first two tanks after that I started tuning it to the smoke and ignored the temps, lhs put a final tune on it on the fourth tank. Get past the pinch make sure your burning oil and floor it!

I put my starter through the wringer as well with this engine. Hopefully, you're right and I will get past the hump on this one Saturday and get to have a little fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back