Diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badazzsavage

I purchased a used XL 5.9 and I bought a diff off of ebay not knowing that there are different toothing, my original are 43T I ordered the newer 29T not knowing what I had. Does anyone know if the 43T is still available, HPI shows discontinued?

Since you now have one of each just pick up another of the 29t ones. You can often buy them assembled in bulkhead on ebay for the price of just the ring and pinion or cheaper. If shimmed and installed correctly they will be extremely hard to destroy

ya that would be true, WELCOME to the Hobby :lmao: buyin stuff seems to never end......

I have been in the hobby for over 10 years now, I bought the XL from a co-worker for $20, he picked it up at a garage sale for $1. I did not realize it needed so much work until I brought it home, I was hoping that I could fix it up a little and flip it but I guess I will have to add it to my collection now!!

I have been in the hobby for over 10 years now, I bought the XL from a co-worker for $20, he picked it up at a garage sale for $1. I did not realize it needed so much work until I brought it home, I was hoping that I could fix it up a little and flip it but I guess I will have to add it to my collection now!!

I hear your pain. I been playin with these toy cars since 1984 and spending aint stopped yet. maybe thats why I have 40+ RC cars, trucks, boats, heli's and planes.....

Savage for a buck is insane! Why can't I be so lucky?

It might have been only a buck but let me tell you, I have already spent over $350 in parts to repair it. This thing was trashed, it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer and beat the livin' snot out of it. The only thing that was really salvageable on it were the wheels and body, and talk about rust.........it was everywhere.

It might have been only a buck but let me tell you, I have already spent over $350 in parts to repair it. This thing was trashed, it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer and beat the livin' snot out of it. The only thing that was really salvageable on it were the wheels and body, and talk about rust.........it was everywhere.

NICE so you are sayin it is a true SALVAGE then ? :lmao: :lmao:

I aint sure exactly which parts may be compatible..... but I am almost sure the diffs and trans parts being alike..... cant hurt to reuse some stuff ya have layin around thats for sure......

Depending on the model of SS all but axles, TVP's, and center dog bones will be the same. The older SS's have different diffs and dog bones too. Again it all depends on when your XL was made and when the SS was made.

What the heck did you spend $350 on? That's almost the cost of a brand new rtr

You cannot get a new XL 5.9 RTR for close to $350

I bought a new chassis, engine, pipe, shocks, skid plates, screw kit. I'm telling you this thing was trashed, there is a huge list of things that I had to buy for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the model of SS all but axles, TVP's, and center dog bones will be the same. The older SS's have different diffs and dog bones too. Again it all depends on when your XL was made and when the SS was made.

I checked my older SS manual, the majority of the parts are different...........no sense in tearing that down to scavage from.

Arms, same tranny, same except its only a two speed I think. Spur/slipper assembly will also fit along with the radio box, shocks, engine mount and plate

Latest posts

Members online

Back