Diff oil weights??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducman82

so why do some people add diffrent oil weights to there front and read diffs?

and people use different weights sometimes so they get more traction from the front or rear tires whichever there aiming for........

(useful information removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
ok got ya. thanks guys

Alex, if you see this post, show him the pic ... worth 1000. plus i like seein yo truck

here you go freddy. This is what a tire looks like as it unloads. This is a bad thing to have happen going around a track.
DSCN0872.jpg

Exactly and the heavier weight oil you use, the less its gonna 'unload' like that.

a lot of 'savage' racers will use a heavier weight oil up front & lighter in rear so that the front tires will pull the truck through a turn.

basically what your doing is 'tuning' your diff to the driving condition (preference)

on a truggy or buggy, you can also use the diff oil to tune the power between front & rear diff caz it has a center diff.

ahhhhhh i see. i keep thinking lockers for some reason. must be the 4x4 guy in me.. thanks for clearing that up guys

If you have ever used ball diffs thicker oil is the same as tightning down a ball diff.
Here is the thing as a car enters a turn most if not all of the weight transfers to the outside tires. This weight transfer causes the inside tires to have little to no traction and a diff is designed in a way that it will unload all the power to the wheel that is easiest to spin. So as you turn instead of power going to the wheels with traction thus moving you around the track the power is unloaded to wheels that just spin. Heaveir diff oil acts as a semi diff locker keeping at least some power to the wheels with traction to keep you moving around the track.

There are alot of other things that go into the handling of the car and keeping power to the ground like suspension set up sway bars in some cases center diffs and the list goes on and on.

To answer why thicker fluid is put in the front that is simple as you turn it is the inside front tire that looses the most traction so you use thicker fluid up front to keep the outside front tire with power when the inside one often lifts completely off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back