Diff oil query - setup for tight turn in and big oversteer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J1A1H

Hi everyone....
From what i know and what i have read, people say that you should use lighter diff oil in the front to aid turn in, and a light diff oil in the rear.... This doesnt make much sense to me and hasn't worked....

I noticed a lot of flux owners putting heavier oil in the rear and a lot of nitro users putting heavier oil in the front...

I was thinking that when i turn in, i get a lot of understeer on fast long turns. If i had thicker oil (50,000) in the front shouldnt this help turn in as no power is lost on the inside wheel?

I also want oversteer, so would heavier oil be better for oversteer too so when turning, lost power power doesnt go to the inside wheel??? My truck was handling really nicely at one point but its been a little worse on turn ins recently.

I currently run 30k all around, but I'm tempted to run 50k front 30k rear, or should i just do 50k front and rear?

I originally used to run 50k rear and 30k front but wasnt sure if i liked it...

What should i do to get a sharp turn in and nice oversteer???

i like thick in rear and thin in front but it also depends on what kind of surface you are running on

i thought you said you like thick in the rear and thin in te front???

I was considering trying 50k front and 30k rear

But people on rc monster are telling me to try 7k rear and 5k front!!!

I know people used to run light oils, but i am so confused....

sory thick front and thin rear running in grass you may want to go thinner in the rear to get better turning

I'm running 10k in the front and 20k in the rear with a nitro and i get nice drifting/ oversteer coming out of corners. you want the front diff to unload a little so the outside tire can actually roll instead of spin so it turns the truck under acceleration. and thick in the rear so it locks up to spin both wheels to induce oversteer.

Thick front, Thin rear, the reason is simple... The savage rear end is next to always planted it does not unload easy and if you use heavy rear it pushes hard. Now the front next to always lifts its tires under power, more so in a corner. Here is the reason to run the oil. You make a left your left inside tire starts to leave the ground. More so with most of the set ups I see on this forum (tall, stiff shocked ) as that tire lifts and loses traction a light oil will transfer all the power to it... (the meaning of unloaded and what your trying to tune out with oils) Now you just lost front drive and the heavy rear, which is still plated mind you, pushes it even harder.... You just lost 50% of your steering. For my trucks (Low CG and sprung/oiled well) 20K front, open to 10K rear works killer.. My trucks also don't lift tires often. When it does I tend to let off as well and the 20 keeps me loaded. If your going to go to a center diff as you were talking about that will unload to the front when it looses traction and that will help too.

For the most control you want the truck to pull it self more then push ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks justin for chiming in... just the explaination i needed.

I will try the setup you have recommended. with 10k in the rear. I understand your explanation very clearly and i have seen this behaviour on my truck recently, where by i am turning, but the rear tyres just push the truck forward giving ridiculous understeer, especially in slow corners.

Yes i am setting up my centre diff right now. I am going to run 50k through it (i don't want it to unload too much power to the front as i love my hard acceleration) which is roughly around 70k considering its a 6 spider diff. If it unloads too much or not enough, i will adjust weights accordingly. Never had a centre diff before...

I will try the setup you have recommended. with 10k in the rear. I understand your explanation very clearly and i have seen this behaviour on my truck recently, where by i am turning, but the rear tyres just push the truck forward giving ridiculous understeer, especially in slow corners.

Yes i am setting up my centre diff right now. I am going to run 50k through it (i don't want it to unload too much power to the front as i love my hard acceleration) which is roughly around 70k considering its a 6 spider diff. If it unloads too much or not enough, i will adjust weights accordingly. Never had a centre diff before...
that 20/10 is for my nitro. I have not got the flux tuned yet. I have not used it enough to figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
uh huh... Maybe i will up it slightly then and use 30/20...

I'm planning on 80 front 125 center 60 rear . Any thoughts? Advice? I run on everything. Dirt grass street.

Latest posts

Members online

Back