Diff housing and shock tower questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikesavage

I am in the rebuild stage and came acroos some screws that arent tighting up so I figured id get some new up to date parts

this is what I have right now http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/85045/

this is what I want to go to http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/102272/

Or should I go with this I don't want to have to change the bumpers if I don't have to: http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/85235/

Also can I still use the shock towers or should I upgrade them to?

The x is much better you don't have to change bumpers or shock towers if you don't want to but the x shock towers work much better.

Go with the flux composite bulk (#102272), its identical to the X bulk but made of a lighter stiffer material for less flex resulting in longer lasting diffs, apparently lol, iv just recieved mine now and assembling them as i speak and they are definately stiffer than the standard X/XL bulks.(#85235)

But you will need to change shock towers, the bulks you are using now (85045) use a different shock tower but your bumpers will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I was looking at getting the X shock towers anyways because of the ajustment where the ones I have only has 1 setting. If the Flux will work and use the X shock towers will I still need to change the bumpers?

Yea, I'm now using Flux bulks with X towers, the Flux and X bulks and towers are the same, just the Flux bulk is lighter and stiffer.

No, the X and Flux bulks both have screw holes in the side to accept the old style bumper mounts.

This is the hole right in the centre of the pic (this is a flux bulk)

026-1.jpg

Just thought, I'm not sure if you would need to change your arms or not, i don't know if old style arms will fit on X/Flux bulks.

Sweet I was just about to place an order for the X stuff but now I'm getting the flux bulks and X shock towers. Now correct me if I'm wrong but with the new style gearcase/bulkhead I can take out 6 screws and out pops the whole diff?

Now correct me if I'm wrong but with the new style gearcase/bulkhead I can take out 6 screws and out pops the whole diff?

Yep, 6 screws and the bumper mounts then front of the bulk slides out, then you have access to the whole diff and you can take the whole diff out from there.

017-7.jpg

no need to change bumpers .. just bumper mnounts are different on x and pre x bulks. and yes the new style bulks.. few screws and out comes the diffs.. no need in tearing the whole bulk out any more its a very nice upgrade they did...and the old a frames fit the new bulks so no worries there .. some ppl prefer the old style a arms over the x ones but i run both kind on my trucks never broke one ever!!! hope this helps you .. good luck happy bashn.

Thanks Max, wasnt sure if old arms would work on newer bulks, do you know if the old round joint posts fit in the X/Flux bulks?

ohhhh gotchya sorrry... i think the bulks come with them pressed in already but I'm not sure.. i know my x bulks are pressed in and came in them.. the older pre x ones slide out .but the bulks are the same width so if need it be I'm thinking the round ones will work .. maybe someones came across the x with no post in them and can tell you if they will work or not .. but I'm thinking they come in them ...

No they don't, its a seperate part #, unless you buy them from an eBay chopshop and they have left them in, if you buy the bulks new not from a chopshop they don't come with them.

I once bought an X bulk from a savage chopshop and it wasnt there and my new Flux bulks which were bought in the HPI pack from a regular online hobby store, both times i had to swap them over from the old bulks, but theyve always been the hex X ones, i have no idea about the round ones, theyre not in the list as fitting the the X/XL Flux etc just the pre X models.

As far as i can tell they wont fit lol the round pre X posts are 4x7x74mm and the new hex X are 4x6x74mm so the 6mm hex hole in the X/Flux style bulk is too small for the 7mm old style round post.

HPI gets you by the balls lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back