diff help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbinty

hey guys need bit of help i have been offered an alloy dif for my savage x and i am wundering if you change the dif to alloy will i nedd to uprate the bevel gear so that it does not chew it up every 5 minz also will i have to buy to alloy difs or will it be ok to run just the 1 and 1 standard thnks dan

I believe you were offered an aluminum diff cup? if so you will just put your existing gears from the plastic cups into the alum. cups. its a nice upgrade. I would recommend just buying the second aluminum diff cup they only cost about 20 bucks shipped from nova

Your fine to run one alloy and one plastic. Nothing else needs to be upgraded to do this mod. I would recommend the HPI alloy diff cups when you decide to get the second one, because they come with all the shims you need to make the diffs almost bulletproof.

Once you have the 6 internal diff gears housed in aluminum cups with steel pin/gear supports, and the ring/pinion gears shimmed correctly in X bulkless cases (Or GPM aluminum cases, but the one piece design of the X setup seems to be solid and eliminates most of the flex), the diffs are 99% bulletproof. No need to upgrade the bevel gears.

The remaining 1% comes into play when the 10x16mm diff side bearings finally decide to let go. I've only had it happen once (Using crappy bearings, and I was able to salvage the ring and pinion gears) in over 20 gallons of bashing, but I've heard tales from those who haven't been so lucky.

I'm up to about 18 on mine Jeremy. I even got a couple sets of spare gears when I first got my Savage because I figured I would need them. Not yet..... *knocks on wood*

I have made it for a year, about 5-6 gallons. then the front went out in a jump

It depends on your driving habits

If you wheelie and jump alot you will break a gear.

(my finger is on the ban button, don't argue with me)

JJ, lol

Ya, I don't like to jump my truck...... lol

000_1096.jpg

20 gallons come on

I lost 3 pinion gears during the first 2 gallons on the truck due to lack of shimming. The crappy diff bearings let go at around the 8 gallon mark. I replaced them with HPI bearings, shimmed the diff assembly such that it was solid in the X bulkhead/gearbox, then shimmed the pinion until no backlash could be felt between the gears, and haven't had a problem in a dozen gallons. I am just starting to feel a slight amount of slop developing in the X gearbox units, so I may have to add another shim in a few gallons.

I bash HARD, but the key is to avoid landing with the throttle on. Doing so will strip most any diff in most any vehicle in my experience.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back