Diff blowing from motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageXL85

What are the chances I keep blowing my rear diff from being overpowered by a 4092 1480kv?

I’ve shimmed, re shimmed, lowered punch level, reduced weight back to 1/8 scale vs 1/5 tvp, added a slipperential, have a center diff, tried the new “forged” diffs and no luck

Last edited:
What gearing? Maybe your at the diffs limit. I only run 4S.

I'm running 6S with a castle mmx/2200kv sensored with a super 5sc trans that has a diff with 750k in it (similar gear ratio to stock trans, a bit lower) and 16/48 pinion/spur. Pretty sure mine has the sintered BP ring gear in it and whatever the old pinion was, looked machined.

I need to run a bit lower gearing, but it does ok. Can't recall what I have the punch set at. Pretty sure it's low as it's a bit of a handful since mine is the shorter flux hp version. Without the center diff, it would be undriveable.

I cracked one once. Had a 4mm screw laying in there from when I had the diff apart to replace the pinion after breaking it. The screw got between the ring/pinion and split the case open like an egg. The ring and pinion were fine still.

Do you have photo's of your damaged ring/pinion gears? Might help us understand what's going on.

I had posted them in another thread I’ll see if I can find em

last time I had the diff apart didn’t notice any signs of cracks or anything so I put it back together

From the pics it looks like they just get worn down and never actually break anymore

Attachments

• 6E780D8D-1215-4AE4-B7C2-36E0AD77A0F1.jpeg
    6E780D8D-1215-4AE4-B7C2-36E0AD77A0F1.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 96201563-A381-4B68-BDC3-5760E516F4BB.jpeg
    96201563-A381-4B68-BDC3-5760E516F4BB.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 14
  • 0467ACD8-CF75-4F81-91F1-2749D543F5D8.jpeg
    0467ACD8-CF75-4F81-91F1-2749D543F5D8.jpeg
    814.1 KB · Views: 14
This screw doesn’t tighten down just keeps spinning could this be the issue?

Attachments

• 4F10A783-31F7-48DD-B5EF-33C5284B4F4C.jpeg
    4F10A783-31F7-48DD-B5EF-33C5284B4F4C.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 9
It shouldnt be a problem. Are those worn gears original HPI ones?

What are the chances I keep blowing my rear diff from being overpowered by a 4092 1480kv?

I’ve shimmed, re shimmed, lowered punch level, reduced weight back to 1/8 scale vs 1/5 tvp, added a slipperential, have a center diff, tried the new “forged” diffs and no luck
Get fastlane machine drive train parts. Tgeir guaranteed for life and they won't blow. Those guys should start paying me.

I never had any type of gear problems luckily for me so I don't know if they have what your looking for but they are the only place I know where you could get a custom 3rd gear stronger then hpi could have ever been with a life time warrantee and these guys should really start paying me or at least give me some free stuff or a discount. Something lol

I never had any type of gear problems luckily for me so I don't know if they have what your looking for but they are the only place I know where you could get a custom 3rd gear stronger then hpi could have ever been with a life time warrantee and these guys should really start paying me or at least give me some free stuff or a discount. Something lol
looked at there site and not look on that gear. I have a few flux's and would love a truly bulletproof Diff and gear. I bash hard so it is kind of my fault as well but the last time I ran my Super 5SC Flux stripped the rear diff doing speed runs with two 3s batteries.

looked at there site and not look on that gear. I have a few flux's and would love a truly bulletproof Diff and gear. I bash hard so it is kind of my fault as well but the last time I ran my Super 5SC Flux stripped the rear diff doing speed runs with two 3s batteries.
I have look into that super 5sc but I was running my 4.6 convert with a tekin rx 8 gen 3 build it was fast but I went back to nitro. Look at their site lcg tvp are awesome. I also got their extended arms and broke them duebto just a dumb crash andbthey replace them. Well at least the one. Check them out.

Ended up buying a new bulkhead and a kyosho diff cup (what I used a long time ago in the front diff). Rebuild center diff with 1m diff oil. Holding up after 3 6s bashing about when it would go again on me. Only time will tell.

I think I had a combination of a worn bulkhead and shimming to close

Latest posts

Members online

Back