Dif oil ??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Iam running the savage I don't race iam just a basher anyway I was wondering what is the best weight dif oil to use right now iam useing just all purpose black greese I don't really have a problem with the difs going out but my buddy does .... what does different dif oil do for the truck please reply people thanks:nutshot:

as far as i know, you don't oil them...the grease is good...and keep dirt and stuff out of them...

I here of people useing like 1000 weight or more dif oil need more info on this please help

iv just got grease on mine and iv not had any probs. my trucks been up to its ears in muddy water and still no trouble. murder to clean tho!!LOL

I have used 50,000wt diff oil and 120,000wt diff oil. The thicker weight oil gives the diff a limited slip type effect.

The diff oil goes into the diff cup, and actually the thicker weight oil you go the harder the diff is to unload to one side. The 120,000wt is as thick as honey.
Doesnt really do anything with helping the diff spin better, thats what the bearings are for. The oil helps with traction.

so the thicker the oil the beter the traction I heard people talking about unloading can u tell me more about this

When one wheel has less amount of traction than the other it will unload. (side with the least amount of resistance will spin). The higher the diff oil the closer to a lock diff effect, there is 500,000wt oil which is almost a locked diff (Posi traction).
Hope the helped some

thanks for the help so if use a high weight oil u should stay on dirt only???

High weight oil not recommended for high traction surfaces. Thats why diffs are designed the way they are--to allow the wheels to turn at different speed when your truck turns a corner (on pavment).

thats what I thought thanks for the help if u have any other info that would be great otherwise thank you

Glad to help I hope I explained in a way that was understandable. (btw runoverbysavage check you PM)

The most popular diff oil weight I've seen for Savages is in the 5,000 to 10,000 range, but it ranges based on personal preference. As jtmt72 said, resist the temptation to run super-thick lube thinking a locked diff is the way to get great off-road traction. You will get a locked effect, but your truck will slide all over the place if there's limited traction, and it really taxes drivetrain parts. My buddy put OFNA's "Diff Lock" lube in his 1/8-scale buggy diffs and he can't even drive in a straight line on dirt anymore, instant spinout! It's fun for about two minutes, then it gets really annoying.

is it bad if you run wheel bearing grease it the diffs

is it bad if you run wheel bearing grease it the diffs

You can use it, will have a similar effect as the oil, I would pack kind of loose though (as that stuff is messy and will be a bear to clean out if you have to rebuild down the road)

i just use..

i just use the tamiya molybneum grease! thats the greyish one not the ceramic one. never had a problem and i really trash the car. probably why it suffereing at the moment but anyways.,.. onwards and upwards.. (skywards i hope soon)

As long as it isnt to thick, the thicker the oil/grease the more the locked diff action you will have.

I run
7000wt front
3000wt rear

it works great for bashing or racing.

just use a heavy weight for general bashing. youll get better power on the wheels when bashing around. crawlers use heavy weight aswell i believe to get constant power to the wheels to climb better

If you like to do 360's and run on different surfaces try 5,000 front and 3,000 rear. I use Ofna brand.:DJjam:

Members online

No members online now.
Back